Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stuck at 99%

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlta

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2002
AU
Anyone got any idea why this would be happening? Im backing up only a few servers (bdc, file and print x 2) and for some reason my backups have just recently stopped going beyond 99%. The log file looks fine, it seems like the backup and verify are both being completed perfectly but something that BE does at the end just isnt clicking over.

I can fully restore a tape with no errors its just that the damn job isnt finishing. This has to be by far the most annoying BE problem ive stumbled across.

any ideas?

Check your alerts and see if anything is outstanding. Sometimes I find that the display freezes, it sounds like your job has finished but the display hasn't caught up, try pressing F5 to refresh it.

Smile anyway,
Perry.

its a single tape drive (backing up onto one tape) and their isnt any outstanding alerts that i can see.

This is new though, over the last two days the backup times have varied. From 9 hours down to 6 (should be taking 4).

I might check out the drive itself, it could be faulty.

I have the same problem, using a single tape drive the log reports backup and verify have finished but BE showing the job as still running. Backup times are now taking upto 87 hours to complete when they used to take just under 2 hours. Anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried unchecking "Eject on end" in the job definition if it's checked?

yea that was the problem i was having, sorry should have posted it. Its a DLT tape drive and auto-eject is on but you have to physically take the tape out, it doesnt fully auto eject. With these types of drives backup exec sends a prompt after auto eject saying "take the tape out of the drive" and thats why it gets stuck at 99%.

This one kinda got me because im using an LTO aswell. (which does autoeject without a prompt)

Yeah, I figured that was the problem from your first post. Sorry it took so long to repost (I gotta put a reminder on my PC to check this board more often, hehe)

Glad to see you got it fixed.

If you are using the latest version of Back-up Exec you will find that the problem is not in the backup, it happens during verify. Back-up Exec has decided to sell you a module.

Work around
Use windows back-up to back-up your remote servers and set it to go to a folder on your main server (the one with the tape drive)
Add this new folder to your Back-up Exec back-up path. (allow sufficiant time so that the Windows back-up will finish before the Exec back-up starts.

Good luck

I have this same problem at work but don't know how to fix it. Win2k Server - everything works fine until I try to enable Email notification. I can send a test email message just fine but when I leave it unattended it gets stuck at 99% and the email notification doesn't work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gents:

Here is the technote you need. basically you will just create a reg. hack on the media server which will automatically respond to any prompts received and the job will run to 100 %. tends to happen on standalone drives only:

How to configure Backup Exec to automatically respond to media alerts, including when a backup hangs at 99% until the user responds to a tape eject prompt.

Unless there are other issues going on, this will resolve your problem

Cheers
Dog

Does anyone know how to fix my email notification problem? I'd like to have the server send me an email to my home email address that the backup was performed. As soon as I disable the email notification the backup completes 100% but I'd like to have that notification.
Any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back