Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stringing SP4 + Update Rollup 1 and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jemimus

Technical User
Aug 1, 2005
NL
Hi all,

I would like to know if any of you have experience with stringing multiple Windows updates together in a single scripted installation, without rebooting inbetween updates.

Personally I have had no problems for instance stringing Windows 2000 SP4 together with other updates... I have been using a script that actually does the following:

- Install Windows Installer 3.1
- Install Windows 2000 SP4
- Install Windows 2000 Update Rollup 1 for SP4
- Install Security Update MS05-039
- Install latest MUAU client
- Install Citrix Metaframe XP Service Pack 4 for Feature release 3 (MSP)

But the final install I wanted to string refuses to install correctly without a reboot, and that is Hotfix Rollup Pack XE104W2KR01 - For MetaFrame XP (MSP)

Other than that last one, the first group of updates seem to install well without a reboot. I use Windows Installer 3.1 switches to suppress reboots and other things. I have run the above sequence about 20 times already, and only 1 or 2 servers have given me grief over it.

I was wondering what your experiences where in doing this kind of thing?
The reason I want some feedback on this, is because I have been unable to convince my manager that this is a safe way of pushing updates, even though I have often done it this way, without too much difficulty. If I read though some of the MS documentation on how the Windows Installer works, it seems to confirm that this should work oke in theory.

Glad to be of service.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back