Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

String too long - Workaround? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BasilFawlty001

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2002
CA
I have a dozen or so paragraphs that need to be added to a report based on several conditions (IF THEN). The problem lies in their length. They are up to 600 chars long. Is there a relatively simple workaround to avoid the max string length? I could just repeat the entire formula and add a bit more text every time but that's really in-efficient. Any Ideas?

I would add all 12 as text objects, each in their own subsection, and then suppress the entire section based on the condition. Text objects don't have length limits. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

I thought of another workaround. Add a new table to the database and insert each paragraph into a field. Then all crystal needs to do is grab the right field based on the condition.

But, if the field is over 255 characters, CR can't use it in a formula - so you are back to suppression. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Right. Ok. So I gave suppression a try. It seems to suppress everything I do. Gotta be an error in my logic. I'll keep at it though. Thanks a lot for your help.

Ok, here's the scoop. In design mode I see Details a and Details b. Details a is small and Details b is big. In preview mode all I see (on the left) is Details a. Where did b go?

Make sure that you have a separate section for each paragraph, and put in a condition formula for each section. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Is it on the next page?
Is it suppressed?
What is your suppress condition formula for DetailsB? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

See the above (by me) post. I think that I've got all that right, it's the whole section that's missing.

While I'm asking questions here's a simple one (I would think). how do I get the first letter of a field to be capitalized (Propercase)? I can only find Uppercase and Lowercase formulas.

Yea, it's on the next page. How do I fix that? I apprecite your patience here. On the plus side, the initial question seems to be resolved. Thanks again.

Ok. so I'm an idiot. I had an empty text box at the bottom of Details b that made it too long for the first page. Sorry to waste your time.

For *Proper* case you can do this:

uppercase(left(ltrim({SOMEDATABASE.LASTNAME}),1))
+
lowercase(mid({SOMEDATABASE.LASTNAME},2))

This will mix-case the first word in a field, whether it's lowercase or upper to begin with, it will not do the entire field.

Just add in a loop to do that.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back