Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

String Space Exhausted Error when Compiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Trying to compile an older version of source with Clipper 5.2 and am getting an error #C3045 which is exhausted string space.&nbsp;&nbsp;Clipper Norton guides don't include error message.&nbsp;&nbsp;Clipper manuals not available.<br><br>Source code is 29K, including 10 proceedures is 50K.<br><br>Would any help with this,<br>Marty

Quick & Easy method is to split the .PRG file into 2<br>

reduce the number of named STATIC variables by using a static array and DEFINES.

Oldfart & Diephaus,<br><br>Thanks for your replies.&nbsp;&nbsp;This project is being tackled in phases with this immediate phase trying to compile existing code before modifying.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've been able to compile everything but this one PRG.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since this old code has been compiled once before I would think there may be &quot;switches&quot; that are added to either the environment or to the compiling instructions to make this work.&nbsp;&nbsp;Without a manual, I'm at a loss with what is required.&nbsp;&nbsp;So in my mind the question is, is this error message fatal with respect to workarounds and will require splitting and trimming?&nbsp;&nbsp;Or are switches available to tell Clipper to work with it?<br><br>Marty

Have the answer.&nbsp;&nbsp;We installed Clipper 5.2 from the original disk and didn't upgrade using the latest patch (version E).&nbsp;&nbsp;The patch enables string compiling to accomodate our prg's amongother things and is available on the CA-Clipper website.

Sounds a dirty solution. Clipper 5.2e is a much more stable product. You may find network locking problems under older versions ( in anomolies lists )

Translate:

Estas usando muchas adiciones a una sola cadena al momento de compilar
ejemplo (example)

cString := &quot;Este es un ejemplo &quot; +;
&quot;de una desborde de una &quot; +;
cCadena1 + ;
&quot;etc&quot;

Esto al momento de qe lo compilas, crea una variable con un valor demasiado grande.

Solution:

cString := &quot;Este es un ejemplo &quot;
cString += &quot;de una desborde de una &quot;
cString += cCadena1
cString += &quot;etc&quot;

ramonzea@yahoo.com [sig][/sig]

I see nobody has added something to this in over a year. Hope I get some reply. I have a similar problem trying to fix and recompile and old set of programs with a borrowed 5.2

The program with the compiling problem has not been changed, yet we get &quot;string space exhausted&quot; when compiling to .obj and &quot;internal workspace exhausted&quot; when RMAKE is used on original .rmk file. Tried using /xw switch (not sure if right)with no results.

Understand problem could be solved by spliting the large program into two pieces, but question is: How was it compiled in the first place? It is not an idle question, I am well aquainted with Foxbase, but know nothing about clipper and don't want to mes with this big .prg .

Any help out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back