Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

String mostly number sort

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmozer

Programmer
Sep 11, 2004
US
I have a table field {LABITEM.Lab Item Number} which is string because dashes are used for sub-items. (1 can become 1-1, 1-1-1, etc.). But, of course, if I sort on Lab Item Number I get 1, 10, 11, 2, 22, 2-2, etc. I need a string to value formula that would sort the field as desired:

1, 1-1, 2, 2-2, 2-2-2, 22, 3, etc.

One more complication (but one I could live without dealing with, just, maybe, ignore), there might be some Items with letters or, more likely, numbers and letters (1a, 1b, 2a).

I am using Crystal Reports 8.5 and talking to Oracle tables.

Can anyone get me started on some formulas what will give me the sort order I need?

Create a formula that gets the part of the string before the first "-", and create your group on that:

// @Group
if instr({LABITEM.Lab Item Number}, "-") = 0 then
val({LABITEM.Lab Item Number})
else
val(left({LABITEM.Lab Item Number},instr({LABITEM.Lab Item Number},"-") - 1));

Then, create a second group on {LABITEM.Lab Item Number}.

-dave

I like Dave's solution. I wasn't as quick on the draw, but came up with:

if instr({LABITEM.Lab Item Number},"-") <> 0 then
left({LABITEM.Lab Item Number},instr({LABITEM.Lab Item Number},"-")-1) + "." +
replace(mid({LABITEM.Lab Item Number},instr({LABITEM.Lab Item Number},"-")+1),"-","0") else
{LABITEM.Lab Item Number}

This would sort as your example shows:

1, 1-1, 2, 2-2, 2-2-2, 22, 3 //Note the 22 followed by 3

But I'm not sure you really meant that. If you wanted a numerical sort, then you would have to wrap the formula in val().

You would use the formula in report->sort order, but use the actual field for display on your report.

-LB

Yes, of course I meant 1, 1-1, 2, 2-2, 2-2-2, 3, 22, etc.

I will try the formulas tomorrow. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back