Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

string manipulation???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharvin

Instructor
Apr 6, 2001
PK
Hello tek-experts!
I have a problem, can anybody help me with this?

Make a database program that will keep track of some products such as cucumber, potatoes, mango etc. There will be a menu wherein you can list the products, read, write and then quit from the program. If you select (l)ist, it will list 9 products with their quantity; if you select
(w)rite then you can edit the name of a certain product and save it; if you select (r)ead then you can view the edited product name.

My idea is about string manipulation. Is this right?

Thanks.

mharvin :)

because the option you want to provided to be selected in the program is only a character at a time ('l', 'w', and 'r'). so you don't need to have string manipulation for it. just use char data type.

Code:
/* example code. */
int getOption()
{
   unsigned char option;
   if (((option = getch()) == 0) || (option == 224))   /* extended or function key? */
      getch();   /* clear I/O buffer. */
   return option;
}

void processOption(int option)
{
switch (option) {
case 'l':
/* execute list statements. */
break;
case 'w':
/* execute write statements. */
break;
case 'r':
/* execute read statements. */
break;
default:
/* handle error option chosen. */
}
}

how about with the database? how can i do that?
thanks... mharvin

What database are you using? Most databases includes some kind of API that you can use. //Daniel

can anyone send me the code to emulate a scanf function,(i.e)the function should do all the work of scanf and there should be no scanf in the program.

coolzig : Your question does not seem to belong here ....

BUT :

The source-code for scanf is included with Microsoft Visual C++ v6.0 :
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\CRT\SRC\CSCANF.C

and

input.c ... and probably some more files.

/JOlesen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back