Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

String array

Status
Not open for further replies.

strawberryman

Programmer
Feb 14, 2006
US
My program is below, and I am getting an error C2664, When I looked it up, I could only come up with a parameter error, but to me, it doesn't look like I am violating one. My program (so far) is supposed to place names into a string array.starting with [0][0], and going down the line,placing the names in the locations.

#include<iostream>
#include<string>

using std::cout;
using std::cin;
using std::endl;
using std::string;
using namespace std;

int main()
{
//delcalre variables
signed int players=0;
int players1=0;
int game [16][16];
int n,m;
char array1 [256][256];

cout<<"How many players or teams?";
cin >> players;
if (players<=0)
{cout<<"Invalid number, must be positive- re-enter number:";
cin>>players;
}
//end if

for (string players2=0;players1<=players;players1=players1+1)
{
cout<<"Name of player or team:";
cin>>players2;
for (;players1<=players;array1[0][0]=array1[0][0]+1);
char t[20];
strcpy (t,players2);

Code:
for (string players2=0;players1<=players;players1=players1+1)
You can't add numbers to strings.

Code:
for (;players1<=players;array1[0][0]=array1[0][0]+1);
I have no idea what you're trying to do here, but it's probably wrong.

Code:
strcpy (t,players2);
You're trying to strcpy() a string to a char array. You could do it if you called the .c_str() function of players2, but why not use strings everywhere instead of mixing strings and char arrays?

What I am trying to do is place names into an array. Starting with location [0][0], and moving to [0][1] then [0][2] and so on, for as many players as the user inputs. I had initialized the array as a char array because I didn't think it was possible to initialize a string array, or is that legal? Would it be a better idea, to assign the names, that the user inputs, to numbers, then place those numbers in the array? If so how would I start that?

I am not sure what you are trying to do but if you want to add numbers to a string, try stringstream,

EG;

char somechars[10];
stringstream strNew;
int counter = 55;
string str1 ="Hello";
:
:
:

strNew<<somechars<<str1<<"/"<<counter<<str2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search