Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stretching video to fit audio 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd77

Programmer
Jan 2, 2001
US
I have around 100 still shots that I am displaying with transitions between them (fades between imported still shots) with background music playing. I find that I would like to stretch the entire set of still shots so that the durations of each and the transitions between them will all be adjusted proportionally. The goal is to match them with the music playing in the background. I know I can adjust them individually, but that will be a real pain. Does anybody have a slick way of doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Other than what you suggested, nothing easier. When I do a photo montage, I use an Audio Program to "time" where each section of music starts and ends and for what length a transition would take. I then use my "notes" with the time codes I wrote down to make my photos match the music on the time line.

Best to use a program that allows you to see the "graph" of a sound stream. Adobe allows you to do that via the "rubberband" but Its not detailed enough.

Have you thought of using 'automate to timeline' from the storyboard window?

The outline procedure is this:

Set up timeline with the audio track and any lead-in you want. Lock the audio track. Deselect the audio clip (so markers will be for the timeline, not the clip.)

Play the timeline and hit the numeric keyboard asterisk key at every point where you want a picture change. When the playing stops, you will see that you have now created a series of timeline markers.

Set up the default transition to be the one you want.

Create a new storyboard from the file menu.

Drag all your stills into the storyboard window and arrange the order as required.

Now select 'automate to timeline' from the storyboard menu and choose the options you want.

Instant cuts to music with the default transition if that's what you asked for.

You may want to change the number of timeline markers to match the number of pictures if that is your priority. Easy to do that and re-apply the 'automate' command.

The storyboard tool is great, as mentioned. Using markers is also a good tool for placing those pics exactly where you want them to appear in relationship to the music (perhaps on a particlar down-beat etc).

If you simply want to "stretch" (or shrink) all pics so that they evenly fill the timeline for the duration of your audio clip, here's what I would do...

- before using Automate to Timeline, select Edit > Preferences > General and Still Images
- at the bootom of that window, select a "duration" (which will apply to all pics)
- select Automate to Timeline
- if the group of pics is too long or too short, simply select and delete them all, change the duration as above and try again. After a few attempts, you should be able to "guess" it fairly close.

This may not be a "slick" way of doing it, but unfortunately I've never found a way of "stretching" all clips at once.
Hope this helps.....Rob

After 4 months, I suspect that the problem has already been solved.

Akribie, you are of course absolutely right.

...although,
- perhaps some new user will use the "search" function and find my answer helpful...
- perhaps this project was abandonded and bringing it back to the top of the list will help get the ball rolling again...
- perhaps seeing this thread with new information will inspire someone to try something they never thought they could do...
- perhaps reviewing older posts for an opportunity to contribute was just my way of 'giving back' for all the other great info I've gained from this list...

In each of these cases, I'm inclined to suspect that most readers who find useful information don't really care if was added 4 months or 4 minutes later. In the suspicion that I have breached some rule of ediquette however, I have moved my answer to an FAQ for future ref.

Good night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back