Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

streamlining my ASP design

Status
Not open for further replies.

david7777777777

Programmer
Sep 26, 2001
US
I've built an SQL 2000/ASP application where I'm tracking the shipments of our backup tapes to other locations. Right now, I've provided 20 textboxes on the New Shipment input page to correspond to the 20 TapeID fields/tapes a shipment could hold. If there are more than 20 tapes being shipped at one time, the user will have to record another new shipment for the remaining tapes that didn't fit into the first recorded shipment.

Usually there are only 8 to 12 taped going in a shipment and I hate displaying all of those blank, unused TapeID fields both on the New Shipment input page and on query pages. Isn't there some way to use an array or something to let the user tell the application how many tapes will be included in this shipment and dynamically present appropriate input or query pages for that number of tapes, by displaying the appropriate number of TapeID fields for that shipment? Hope this makes sense.
Thanks.

Yes you can add the number of fields dynamcially. That is what ASP was made for. Provide your user with a dropdown of possible numbers. Grab that number and write the next page. If you are having to build javascript dynamically to check those boxes you have added another layer of complexity but it can definitely be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back