Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Streamlined anti-virus software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petey

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
US
I have tried McAfee and Norton anti-virus software for Windows. My general observation is that these programs spread through the system, drink up resources, and constantly sniff around in the background.

I would like to find a virus protection utility that is less big brother-ish. I want to be able to download a file, run a simple utility scan on it, and be done with it.

Is there any such thing?

Thanks!
Petey

I've seen some shareware programs that are similar to what you describe. Check out ZDNets, CNet, or your favorite download site for some.

Most recommendations I've seen, say to use both background scan-as-you-go and manual scans. The background scanners will help if someone forgets to scan an unknown file. Also, some viruses don't necessarily need a program to run from. For example, some boot sector viruses can run just by inserting an infected floppy into a PC. Manual scanners won't catch those types before they've infected something.

(penny, penny) My two cents worth.

James P. Cottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back