Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Streaming Audio - NOT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scripter73

Programmer
Apr 18, 2001
US
Hi,

Here's what I'm trying to do. I don't know what Forum I need to be in though. If someone can point me to the proper Forum, many thanks.

My goal is to stream audio FROM a VHS-tape that is playing on my VCR into my Sony Vaio PCG-FXA59 laptop. I'm currently using a software called Polterbits ( which is the application that is processing the data and converting it to sound.

I have a Stereo VCR and I went out and bought AV input jacks. However, I can't hook those jacks up to the laptop directly. The Sony Vaio only comes with a TV/Out jack. I'm not sure what my problem is, but it probably has to do with my setup with the sound card.

If ANYONE can help me with my issue, I would be indebted and greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
scripter73
Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life.

Hi scripter73.

You will need to use the microphone input on the laptop.
It's there somewhere.

You will also need a little adapter that will convert your left and right AV jacks (I assume yours has RCA connectors) to the type of plug needed for the microphone input (forgot the correct name for it), but it's the same type that a typical Walkman headset uses.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck.
rohmor

Hi rohmor,

Yes. I suspected yesterday that it was my cable, so I went out and bought another audio cable. I think the name is RCA connection, but not sure. Anyway, on one end it looks like a Walkman connector (this goes into the Computer) and on the other end is the fat-little connector that's the RCA jack (one is white and the other red for audio).

I was finally able to stream in music last night, but the quality was horrible!

What do you think I should do? Should I just get a DVD of the movie I'm trying to make an audio CD out of so it will already be on my computer and stop trying to stream it? I'm open to this, but I'm not sure what software to use to get the music out, etc.

I'm looking for top-quality sound, I just don't know where to start. I'm a beginner at the streaming audio/video age.

Thanks for you fabulous help,
scripter73
Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life.

You're welcome scripter73. Don't forget to rate my response.

Glad you were at least able to complete the process. But I also should have commented on what you have already discovered: Poor sound quality.

Yes, the mic input circuits aren't elaborate at all.

If you're really interested in high quality recording and reproduction with the laptop, you're going to need additional external hardware.

I may sound very experienced with all this, but I'm really not. I'm working from the memory of a request someone made of me in the past for a particular hardware device for a laptop. I think it may be what is required to achieve your goal.

If I can only remember the product. I should still have record of it somewhere, but that'll mean you'll have to wait for another post from me.

I'll try and search for it as soon as I can.

In relation to "streaming vs DVD", it would depend on whether you intend to be doing this on a continuous basis with different audio material.

rohmor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back