Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strangest DVD-ROM issue ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoMurdoc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2011
GB
OK, So here it is in a nut shell.

One of the workstations I have here at work recently started giving trouble reading DVD's for games and even UBCD511 however CD's work fine.

Upon Google'ing the issue I ended up doing all the standard stuff

-Checking there were no upper or lower filters in the registry
-deleting the drive and reinstalling it
-changing drive letter
-and much much more

Alot of posts said that it would be the lazer as there are different lazers for cd's and dvd's however

A)the machine can still BOOT of a dvd
B)The dvd rom works fine if you share it over the network and then map another drive letter to it so it becomes like a network drive?

when you insert a DVD the drive does detect that something is in there and the drive's name changes to match the name of the disc in there but it just appears empty and doesnt display the correct icon for the drive.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

PS: I have rebuilt the machine once so far which did solve the issue briefly. I have also replaced the DVD drive

Thanks
Mo

I have also replaced the DVD drive
this indicates that there is an issue with the OS...

-Checking there were no upper or lower filters in the registry
now this is hard to believe, as the upper and lower filters get set automatically by Windows... the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
is the one mentioned that needs to be deleted...

question: Which burning software do you have installed?

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

The filters were/are not present before and after the OS reinstall.

I agree it does seem like an OS issue so I suppose the question is how do I find where in the OS lies the issue.

Those filters are the problem... better said the non-existence of them are probably causing the issue...

Still did not answer my question... also, which version of Windows 7 are you using and is it 32bit or 64bit? is the DVD drive PATA or SATA?

see also the following link, and do not let yourself be mislead by the title, it applies to Win7 as well...

The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista

check out the More Information section, and post the information on what DevCon spits out...

also from another forum, I found this little tidbit:
Code:
Go to your run command and type (start.....Run.....)
type gpedit.msc
Go to User configuration/Administrative templates/Windows components/Windows explorer
On the right pane, double click on "Remove CD burning features" tick the enabled button, then OK.
Reboot or logoff/logon to apply.

If your vista version does not have the gpedit function, do the following.
Open regedit, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In the right pane, if it does not already exist, create a new 32-bit DWORD value. Name the new value as NoCDBurning, and assign the value data to 1.
Reboot or logoff/logon to apply.
source: Jason (Australia)

Ben

Thanks, and sorry.

The OS is Win7 x64 Enterprise
The device is SATA

Initially there was no DVD burning software. I later installed imgburn which I have on many of the machines and still the problem persists

Just going though the your posts now and will get back to you asap.

Thanks again
Mo

No problem... just trying to clear up some loose ends...

the reason why I asked about the burn-software, is that some bring their own filter drivers with them and these can mess with the OS...

now, since the DVD is a SATA device, try another port, and if your mainboard has two different SATA controllers try the other one as well...

once I get home, where I can get my hands on my Win7 system, I will post the location (as a reg file) and settings of my upper&lower filters on my system, you can then create your own reg file and import it to your system to see if that fixes things... ;)

Ben

Here is my entry, Windows 7 Ultimate 64x:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"Class"="CDROM"
"ClassDesc"="@%SystemRoot%\\System32\\StorProp.dll,-17001"
@="DVD/CD-ROM drives"
"IconPath"=hex(7):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,  74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,69,  00,6d,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,72,00,65,00,73,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,  2d,00,33,00,30,00,00,00,00,00
"Installer32"="storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller"
"EnumPropPages32"="storprop.dll,DvdPropPageProvider"
"SilentInstall"="1"
"NoInstallClass"="1"
"LowerFilters"=hex(7):41,00,6e,00,79,00,44,00,56,00,44,00,00,00,00,00
"UpperFilters"=hex(7):53,00,69,00,52,00,65,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,00,00,00,  00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
"InfPath"="cdrom.inf"
"InfSection"="cdrom_install"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,8c,a3,c5,94,c6,01
"DriverDate"="6-21-2006"
"DriverVersion"="6.1.7601.17514"
"MatchingDeviceId"="gencdrom"
"DriverDesc"="CD-ROM Drive"

HOW-TO:

1. open notepad (or another editor of your choice)
2. copy and paste the above into the workspace of the editor.
3. use SAVE_AS, to save the file out to your DESKTOP, give it the name: DVD.REG (if by accident you just saved it as a TXT file, make sure that you replace the TXT file extension with REG, and OK the warning message)
4. now double click the newly created REG file and merge it with your registry.
5. REBOOT

Ben

You might replace the SATA cable also, if a different port doesn't help.

Jim

Hi,

Thanks, I imported the reg file but this didnt help. it caused the device to not work at all. I then found this error in device manager

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I know it is not the sata cable or sata port or hardware as the device works perfecty when booting from a DVD and when accessing the DVD drive as a shared resource.

Cheers
Mo

Sorry, forgot to mention. I deleted those registry entries along with the devices from device manager to get the device back to how it was.

Here is the Devcon info for the devices. Thanks again

C:\devcon\i386>devcon stack gencdrom
DTSOFTBUS&REV1\DTCDROM&REV1\1&79F5D87&0&00
Name: DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Setup Class: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} Controlling service:

cdrom
IDE\CDROMTSSTCORP_CDDVDW_TS-H653Z________________HD00____\4&37B43FE2&0&0.1.0
Name: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Z
Setup Class: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} Controlling service:

cdrom
2 matching device(s) found.

I will give that a try. Thanks rclarke

OK, you did exactly what I had planned... ;-) get Windows to recognize the CD-ROM correctly again...

The thing is that my REG file had a build in problem, from the start, in that it had the UPPER and LOWER filters set... which are not present in a fresh install...

Sorry, I had forgotten to mention that once it bonked, to go ahead and delete and remove the device, but you astutely did exactly that...

now what RClark suggests would at least help (can't hurt to update firmware) if not alleviate the problem, but I am thinking it won't, and the reason being that you said that you had tried ANOTHER CD-ROM and it did not fix the issue...

rereading your original post, I did find something interesting, you mentioned
then map another drive letter to it so it becomes like a network drive?
have you tried to give the afflicting device another drive letter, via "Disk Management"...

for reference, see:

Change, add, or remove a drive letter

keep us posted...

Ben

I just noticed that there is also a virtual cd drive, could that be causing a conflict somehow? Daemon tools is loaded? Sorry I just noticed this. This could be the issue.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply's.

I have tried changing the drive letter and rebooted after each attempt but this did not fix the issue.

The issue was present before daemon tools was loaded. I loaded daemon tools in an attempt to change UPPER and LOWER filters (was clutching at straws at this point)
:(

DVD ROMs are cheap, have you tried to swap out the DVD drive to see if another would read? You could go to Goodwill and buy a DVD ROM drive for like $2. It could just be a bad DVD ROM drive.

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

This is the point I would format and install fresh, adding only what is needed, and slowly adding other parts over time and see if/when it happens again.

AZ-Geek and RClark,

he already has attempted that... and yes, I too did not read close enough... ;)

otherwise I would have noticed that he also tried to change drive letters...

PS: I have rebuilt the machine once so far which did solve the issue briefly. I have also replaced the DVD drive
He can share the device and then map a network drive locally to it, and it works, so the DVD is fine... when it stopped working, did you apply any Windows updates, prior to that?

Ben

Well, he said he rebuilt the machine and it lasted for a little while, not sure how he rebuilt it, and "lasted a little while" would seem to indicate a possible software problem causing the issue. So how was it rebuilt, fresh install? or restored from a backup? from an image file? and at what point does it stop responding normal, what changes were made to the system just prior to it not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back