Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange VPN Domain /problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjctechno

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
I have a strange one - I configured a Windows 2003 SBS server in my office (for a client), and connected a number of XP/Pro PCs to it, all on a single lan/subnet - no problem. Installed the server and some PCs at one office - still no problem. Then went to install other PCs at 2nd office - connected to first by VPN (changed these PCs to be on a different subnet - but still using the same DNS server, which is the 2K3 server/DC) - suddenly these PCs can not find the Domain controller !

The VPN is an existing Symantec firewall/VPN 200R appliance (at both ends).

The strange thing is, that after the PCs come up with locally cached stuff - I can Ping the Domain controller, and any other machine on the remote network, no problem, but if I try to logoff/on, or do a GPUPDATE command, I get 1054 - no Domain controller messages in my event log. Any Ideas??

I think I have narrowwed the problem down to the Symantec Firewall/VPN boxes not properly passing large ICMP msgs, which Msoft uses in their new logon process. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Steve Cohn

Steven Cohn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back