Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Virus Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsonpi

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
US
I keep getting a "Virus Identified--Win32/Hantaner" virus message from my AVG Anti-virus Program. AVG prompts me to run a full test which I have done several times but the tests do not find any virus. My operating system in XP and the AVG is up to date. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Some info for you.

When you get the message, what are you telling AVG to do?
What file/s is it telling you is infected?

If you have been compromised, you should do an online virus scan and check to be sure you are cleaned out.

Try here:

or one of the many others.

It apparently spreads through KaZaa. Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Kimber,

I am simply running a full anti-virus test. The file that AVG is telling me that is infected is unfamiliar and extremely long. I searched for the file but can not find it. I am still perplexed.

Al

Kimber,

OK. I went to Panda Active Scan and ran it on my entire computer. It did not find the virus, but thanks for the help and for the virus encyclopedia page that identified the Win32 Hantaner Virus. Thanks again, and I am still open to suggestions on a fix to get rid of this thing even though it is supposedly harmless.

Al

Glad you are having some success.

AGAIN...
When you get the message, what are you telling AVG to do?
Do you have AVG set up to ask what to do when it finds an infected file?
What file/s is it telling you is infected? You may be reinfected by the file each time it is DL to your system and AVG is removing it each time.

If your system comes up clean, you should be ok.

If I were you, I would either install a firewall software, or get rid of the KaZaa.

If we can give you any other specific information let us know.

Kimber

My son now tells me that he saw his sister starting to download a music file and he said that the file "didn't look right" so he scanned it and saw it was a virus, but instead of letting AVG heal it he just deleted the file. This is a guess but I am thinking that the virus is not there but AVG "thinks it is" because it detected it but was not allowed to heal it. Does that sound feasible? And if so, how can I get rid of the darn error message short of uninstaling AVG and then re-installing it. Or, is that the only option if my theory is correct?

AVG is set up to eliminate viruses that it finds during a scan.

Thanks again,
Al

What file/s is it telling you is infected? You may be reinfected by the virus each time it is DL to your system and AVG is removing it each time.
Kimber

Problem Solved:

I finally figured out that because of where the virus attached itself to I had to disable the "restore" function so my AVG anti-virus program could find and eliminate the virus. Thanks to Carr and Kimber for all your help.

Al

Kimber,

>> I had to disable the "restore" function

what's that?

-pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back