Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Video Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikRP

Technical User
Nov 9, 2002
CA
Hi,

I'm having, yes, a "strange video problem". For the second time in about a week I have left my computer running overnight and when I come back to it in the morning, the screen resolution has gone from 1024x768 down to what looks like 640x480. As well the desktop is no longer centered on the screen. I know it's not in Safe Mode as I'm getting 24-bit color. The shifted image looks like what sometimes happen if the monitor has not been set up for that resolution.

The computer also appears to have rebooted.

I wouldn't really worry if for some reason my computer has simply rebooted itself (although I would wonder why) but having the video flip around has me puzzled.

I get the same problem if i turn the screen Off and On again when:

1. screen is in power-save mode.
2. screen is in stand-by mode.
3. screen is running in a graphics mode (Glide, DirectX)
4. screen has a refresh rate > 70Hz
5. you reboot the computer before you turn on the screen.

NOTE: You should check your bios and make sure that in the SCREEN STAND-BY MODE: (or something like that) you have the "VSync+Black" selected. If you do try selecting another option or DISABLE the STAND-BY mode.

Hope that helped. Michael Manos
Automation R&D

I've got all power management turned disabled in the BIOS and the last time I checked, everything was set to Always On for the Win98 power management. So I don't think the computer should have gone to sleep (points 1 & 2). I'm just in a "normal" Windows video mode - was d/l'ing at the time, that's all (point 3). The screen refresh rate I'll have to check when I go home (point 4). I suppose it's possible that for whatever reason the computer rebooted itself while the monitor was turned off, which could be point 5.

If it's of any use, this is related to a thread that I started the first time I had the problem. At that time I got the "shifted screen" and rebooted and then had a bunch of problems. See thread602-426595 (I hope I did that linking right - new to this!)

It's a long shot, but I have a very similar problem which is simply down to the monitor. It's a 15" Tatung, about 7 years old & it started showing a few probs last year. Mainly the screen could be in any size, shape or position when you turn it on & will switch between all sorts of problems when the PC changes the signal, be it power managment or Dos switching to Windows. Have you got another monitor you could try in its place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back