Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Spam Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
US
I am not quite sure which forum to post this problem in so I might have to move this one depending on responses.

I used to have a website running on an in-house server. However, this site was redesigned by a web company and is now hosted on an external site.

However, I started to get spam messages coming in through web forms that were on the old site. So I went into IIS manager on the server and stopped the website. However, the spam messages are still coming in in the format that would suggest they are coming from the forms. I have checked the detail of the messages and they are coming from the webserver. How can that be if the website is no longer running and the URL of the site points to an external server. Is my server somehow infected???

Mighty

If you look at the headers, are you sure they aren't coming from the outside? Its likely someone stumbled across your form once, and then scripted a bombing of spam to whatever email address you listed on that form.

If not, then you probably want to start scanning that server for trojans, rootkits, spyware, virus, etc...

Matt

Please always take the time to backup important data and verify that backup, before making any changes suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back