Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Shared Printer Problem......

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaffieneNnicotine

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2001
US
Hello all,
I am administering a small LAN running NT4 SBS. I have two client machines, both Win98 that are having difficulty printing to each other.
Both machines have a printer installed locally. One machine has a HP LAserJet5 and the other is an Eltron Bar-code printer. Both machines print fine to their local printer. But when you try to print to the shared printer, you get this error:

"Windows encountered problems printing to LABEL PRINTER on //GCLARK03/ELTRON due to an unknown internal error. Restart windows then try again."

I get the same error on the other machine except the UNC path and printer name is different for the other machine.

Both machine have no other problems printing anywhere else in the building. I have tried new drivers, deleting the maps, deleting the printers then resharing. I have tried changing the spooling settings to the printers, letting both machines spool, and then only letting one machine spool. Nothing helps. Also this is weird, when the error occurs, the printer is set to offline. If you open the print que and uncheck the "use printer offline" button six...yes six times, it will work. I am at a loss. Thanks for any help. All Complaints Will Be Routed To /dev/null

Are you using TCP/IP? If you are then simply add a port under printers and assign an IP address to them. This will share them out to each other and not hog the resource. If you aren't then you need to add a port for each printer, in whatever Protocol you are running.

Go into the printer's properties and click the Details tab.
Try capturing the printer port to an unused LPT port.
Type in the server path and hit OK.
Make sure you change Print to the following port to the new LPT port you just captured.
Reboot.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, then are you sure both pc's have File and Print Sharing installed as part of the network stack?

Post back if this doesn't resolve the problem...

I don't know if you are still having the problem but ejsully solved this problem in another post. Go to c:\windows\spool\printers. Delete the *.spl files you find in the directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back