Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSoCunning

Technical User
May 3, 2005
GB
I've got 2 really weird problems at the moment with a machine I'm working on.

PC Spec:
P4 2.4
VIA P4M266 chipset
512MB 2100 DDR RAM
Seagate Barracuda (ST380021A) 80GB HD
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 (6B160P0) 160GB HD
Windows 2000

Problem 1: Random freezing

The machine freezes randomly, sometimes when booting windows, sometimes after it's been running for a while and even sometimes while in the boot menu. I had suspissions over the RAM that was in there. I tested the RAM with MS's RAM checker and it did fail a test. I replaced it and still no change. No errors occur in Windows event logs. The temperature all seems to be ok. I'm going to install a fresh graphics card and lose the onboard shared one and see if it makes any difference.

Just wondered if anyone had encountered a similar problem or had any suggestions?

Problem 2: BIOS

The BIOS on the PC does not pick up the 2nd hard drive correctly on boot. I've been into the setup several times and a detection picks up the drive nps. A soft restart after has nps, a hard reboot brings up a message indicating a disk fail (Pressing F1 to conintue leads to no problems). I've reset the BIOS several times but the hard drive is still picked up after a hard reset as a Maxtor Sabre and fails.

Any suggestions?

I don't think the 2 problems are linked since the BIOS problem has been as issue for 8 months or so and the freezing has only recently started. No new hardware has been added recently (with the exception of the RAM that was swapped).

NotSoCunning,
I would suspect a power issue which may be due to a failing power supply, bad capasitors on the motherboard or a failing cmos battery.

CMOS battery has been replaced, so I think that is ok. Good thinking about the PSU though, it's something that hadn't entered my head ;).

Gonna see if I can test a fresh one in it and see what happens :).

Good suggestions sofar...

I would like to add, besides PSU and Caps: IDE Cable and/or power connector to drive, also see if there is a BIOS update to said mobo as those could fix intermittent probs with HD's...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Can I use DDR400 ram on a compaq computer that currently has DDR SDram installed?

@BIGBL -

1.) Cross posting/interjecting non pertaining questions/information in a thread is not very wise, nor really helpful to you or the originating poster...

2.) depends on the mobo... but generally DDR SDRAM even at higher speeds is downward compatible... best would be to check the HP website for correct/recommended RAM types for your mobo...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

As far as the freezing goes add a vote from me for bulging capacitors. For the 2nd drive issue, is the bios version current?

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back