Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Problem with Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordonj

Technical User
Nov 3, 2003
US
Usually, I only use Remote Access with initial programming.

However, I have encountered a problem with a system we plan to install three hours away from us (hence why we would want to enable remote administration). It consists of an ACS (R7) and a 308 card.

When I first tried to connet, the screen would never initialize the session (the password prompt never came up).
However, when I removed the 308, remote PC adminstration started just fine. I tried the same 308 card with a different ACS card (R6) in a 2-slot carrier, and the same problem (I tried different RAC cards too.

After an hour on the phone with Avaya Tech support, we ordered a replacement 308 card. I was able to get the the password with the new 308, but after entering the password I had assigned, the application would seem to take a ridiculous to initialize the session. Again, when the card is removed, PC remote administration works fine. I run into the same problem when I put this 308 with the ACS (r6) that I used to test the other one.

Any ideas? It's odd that two 308 cards would be bad. But that seems to be the case...

I have ran into this same problem multiple times. I think it is a microsoft problem as I have an older Laptop(120mhz running Windows 98se) that connects every time no matter how many cards are in the cabinet. My "new" Laptop runs Windows 2000 with all the Microsoft updates installed. I have had no satisfaction from Avaya either. If you have an old laptop, put Windows 98 on it and try the PCAdmin software.

Good Luck.

D-TEL Technician

It could be one of two problems. There was a run of 308 cards and I do not remember what the serial numbers started with. But no matter what you did the remote access would not work. The second thing is try installing an external Robotics modem on your laptop and connect through that. I have found that internal modems have a hard time negotiating with the remote access modem. I istalled one on my IBM with XP and everytime it connects at 14400 with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back