Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange problem with filtering in Access 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablohassan

Technical User
Nov 25, 2008
GB
I have a strange problem in Access 2007. I have a SQL table linked and when I'm trying to use 'filter by selection' function from Quick Access Toolbar, I'm getting error:

The command or action '' isn't available now.

* You may be in read-only database or an unconverted database from an earlier version of Microsoft Access..
* The type of object the action applies to isn't currently selected or isn't in the active view.

Use only those commands and macro actions that are currently available for this database.

Its a complete mystery to me and it makes no sense either... I just installed fresh ie7 testing win xp with access 2007 trial + all hotfixes on virtual pc and my project is still doing funny things. Looks like in some point my project was corrupted because of a bug, so actually the problem is in the accdb file, but:
take a look at this:

old project - just connection to sql table, I can use filter by selection button and its working.

latest version - not working

and finally... PROJECT CREATED FROM SCRATCH - not working

Looks like there is something related to SQL source / access connection, but then - why is my old project still working...

Ideas ?

Have you changed or installed a DSN on the new setup? Could be the link is bad (the old link, which was good, will persist in the old mdb).

"Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted."

I just noticed that when I go into design mode on my linked table I can see that all field types are memo instead of text. I'm not entirely sure how it happened as I'm sure it was text previously (that's why my old version of project is working - when I'm creating project right now - access will make it 'memo'). If I understand correctly - some operations are not possible for memo type - like sorting - sorting buttons are grayed when I'm in the table with memo fields.

Where can I find something like - sql 2005 field types and their access equivalents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back