Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange problem with audio cds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

richcande1

Technical User
Feb 17, 2003
US
Hello. For some reason I cant play any audio cds anymore. I can still burn and rip audio discs. Basically, any cd with .cda files come up with an error in WMP 9 (Windows cannot find the specified file...). The file attempts to play in Winamp but there is no sound. The CD appears as identical small .cda files with the correct number of tracks in Windows Explorer. I've checked the cable from the CD Rom to the sound card. I've checked and unchecked the enable digital audio options for the drives. For now in order for me to listen to any normal music CD i have to rip it to my hard drive. All other file types play in either drive and i can play .wav files off a disc in either drive. No other audio problems. I think this happened after I installed Windows media Player 9. Help! any ideas?

Thanks, rich anderson

System:
WinXP Home
1 external USB CD Writer
1 standard CD ROM
Soundblaster card

Rich,

I looked into this for you, and Microsoft acknowledges some known issues.

First suggestion they give is to update the hardware drivers for you audio hardware.
You didn't mention what operating system you are using.

Post back and let us know if this helps or with some more information.

Good Luck! Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Im on Windows XP Home edition w/ Service Pack 1. I regularly run windows update and have all the latest drivers. I've tried removing all my cd drives from device manager and then restarting. This is weird it only affects audio cds. I can still play .wav and .mp3 files off cds.

Thanks for the feedback, Rich

No problem Rich,

Have a look here and see if you find anything.

If not, post back and we can have another look. Members of Tek-Tips provide answers to questions based on the information given. For the best answers, post detailed descriptions of the issue. Use the search features of the site to see if your issue was already addressed in another thread.

I was able to find something. My Wmplibrary_v_0_12.db is missing. I reinstalled WMP 9 and its still not creating a Media Index file. This is related to this article :

When I insert any audio cd, Windows offers to autoplay it and it recognizes it as a music CD.

I think i found a clue. I can rip Cds using Winamp but not in WMP. When I click "Copy from CD" in WMP it does not recognize any audio disc present. BUT if i click "copy to CD or device" it DOES recognize the audio CD and asks me to insert a blank disc into my CD writer. Very weird...

Any suggestions?
thanks in advance, Rich

might be a long shot but i have done this for files that seem to have the wrong or no association. open regedit, expand HKEY_classes_root... browse down to .audioCD and .cda export and save those files then delete them. Then put in a audio cd right click the .cda file and choose open with Windows media player and choose always open with it.
for information on how to back and restore the registry in xp:

thanks for the suggestion. I deleted the key branches but still no luck. same error "cannot find specified file"/

Is this a new commercial CD? Is it distributed by Sony? Maybe it has got that new copyright crap on it?

JON

Thats true Jon. I thought of that and I've tried old and new CDs. Basically as long as its in .cda format i can't play it. Store bought or burned audio CDs make no difference. .wav and .mp3 files on CD will play fine.

I'm beginning to think that microsoft installed some kind of anti-piracy crap on my computer when i d/l WMP 9 series.

Unfortunately I didn't take Microsoft's advice and enable System Restore prior to installing WMP9 so it looks like reformat time for me..:(

Thanks for the help,
Rich Anderson

.wav and mp3 files are played on the sound card from input created by the computer. Audio cd's are just passed from the analog out plug on the cd drive to the sound card for amplification and playback through the speakers. Two seperate and different things.

Thats true. Except for the external USB drive. Now neither drive will play standard audio discs but work fine for any other types. Of course I can still Rip Cds from either drive. It sucks I cant just stick a music CD in anymore and play it. There has to be some way to fix this without reinstalling Windows I hope :)

hi rich an all
i'm not sure you've got rid off the problem discussed. Well i got exactly the same probelm long before wmp 9.0 was released. The probelm occurse generally with any CD player sw and i think it started by removing one of those agressive players (winamp?) which capture your system totally in the assumption they only are able to make you happy.
WMP before 9.0 and other players often gave an error hint like:
"MCI error" (media control interface)
"can't load driver" or
"can't find path.."
i'm still investigating into this probelm

regards
seetroll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back