Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange problem installing NT Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2004
US
Hi all,

I am trying to install NT Workstation on a Compaq Presario w/ a Celeron. When I boot from the CD ROM, it copies all the files like it is suppose to but then the screen flickers and the system restarts. I tried installing again with the boot disks and the same things happens when I get to disk #2. I used another video card since I though this might be the cause but it still happens. Is there a hardware incompatibility somewhere?

Any suggestions?

Hardware does sound most likely - so its the elimination process if you want to continue with this. I'd start with RAM (if > 1 stick, try each on its own). Then disconnect/disable onboard cards (sound, modem, network). You've tried replacing graphics card.

PS - has this machine had a working o/s to your knowledge - if so, what o/s was it, and did it have any problems?

You could also check with the mobo manufacturers web page to make sure it is compatible with the NT OS. Also when you are first loading NT you should have the bare minimum attached for less headaches. Do NOT install networking until after you have loaded everything, then applied a SP like 5 or 6.

Please address my pet hate, "a cable is loose, you lose your keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back