Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange problem - I'm getting visible re-draw off-stage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmenMiranda

Programmer
May 22, 2003
GB
I'm creating a Flash unit - in CS3, with AS2 to run on FP8 - to 600px x 150px with a white background and a light grey border. The unit will sit in a webpage that is predominantly white.

The movie has movie clip elements that appear off-stage and then move onto the stage, play and then move off-stage again.

When I test the Flash unit in an HTML page, the objects off-stage (ie: outside my visible movie area) are showing and thus interfering with the content on the HTML page.

I tried masking the whole movie, which eliminated the problem, but doing this created the bigger problem of an unacceptable drop off in performance (the animations are quite complex).

Can anyone tell me why this might be happening and more importantly, suggest a possible solution?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand what you mean - please would you elaborate?

Ah, I see. Thanks - I'll pass this on to the guys writing the HTML (I'm just developing the Flash element) and see if it helps them.

Originally I thought it might be an obscure problem with the Flash file itself.

Many thanks for your help.

If that doesn't work (probably!) you can try placing a big white rectangle with Stage size rectangle hole in the middle on top of all the elements. Rather crude but may be more performance friendly compared to the mask.

Kenneth Kawamoto

I am just running into the same thing all of a sudden. Been programming in Flash for over 8 years, but now I can see everything off stage.

(Have I just never noticed this before? I think I would have.)

It has always been my understanding that when a movie clip on stage is expanded and parts run off the stage, they disappear. This is not happening anymore

What is up?!?!

"Credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena - T.Roosevelt

This happens with the preview, opening the swf, and opening with a browser. I even noticed on the final page when a prototype was inserted.

This is annoying.

"Credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena - T.Roosevelt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back