Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange pbm with NIS in RH7.3 while doing rsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSiva

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
US
Hi all,

I just solved one pbm in NIS setup of RH7.3 and here is the another pbm.

1.I have one RH7.3 Linux NIS server and name it NIS_SRV
2.I have say 10 NIS RH7.3 Client machines called NIS_CLI1-10
3.I have a NIS user called "siva" with home dir " /home/siva"

And following is the pbm description:-

1. I am logging in at NIS_CLI1 as user "siva" and do "rsh NIS_SRV pwd", I am getting the correct result "/home/siva"

2. But from the same machine NIS_CLI1, if I do "rsh NIS_CLI2 (to any client) pwd" . I am getting the result "/" but not the home directory.

That means any machine other than NIS server, the rsh is not taking the home dir. From a client machine if I say "rsh NIS_CLI3 "cd;ls" it properly goes to home dir and lists the contents.

But if I do "rsh NIS_SRV ls" it correctly lists the home dir contents without a "cd" command.

I have a network of AIX also and it is working fine in AIX.

Any solution will be appreciated.

JSiva -------------------------------------
jsknair@yahoo.com
PSI Data Systems Limited
Bangalore - 560025

Hi all,

Atlast I was able to solve the problem said above. It was a permission problem. I find this when did rsh in debugging mode.

In liunx while creating the user, a group of the same name is also created and the home dir will not have the permission for group.

So after giving r+x permission to home dir for group, the above said problem is solved.

I hope this will help somebody.

Thanks

JSiva -------------------------------------
jsknair@yahoo.com
PSI Data Systems Limited
Bangalore - 560025

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back