Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange...new network shows up on my home PC? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrnEyedLdy

Instructor
Sep 12, 2002
US

I have a small (3 PC workgroup) at home named MShome. I was just browsing the network looking for a folder on another PC and noticed that another Network shows up when I click the Microsoft Windows Network icon.

Oddly enough it is called TRIES. Very bizarre! I open it and it shows an icon for a PC with the name Vizlaptop. Double clicking this icon brings me to Pasword screen.

Does anyone know how this can happen? I find it very strange as I do not connect remotely to any other networks. Sounds like something very strange is going on here.

Puzzled,

Patty [ponytails2]

Using a Lynksys wireless access point, but everything in this room is currently using straight Cat 5 cabling into the router.

Strange but yesterday and just now on another PC in the room, I got an error about an IP address conflict. I checked the 3 PC's and of course I saw no conflict, so I just rebooted the machine thinking it was an error.

However, only minutes ago I could open the icon for the TRIES network and see the Vizlaptop icon, just now I tried to open the network icon and can't do it. I just get the error message that

"Tries is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

Wonder if my intruder was here only minutes ago...

Ekkkk,

What do you think?

Patty [ponytails2]

Oh, I also had to mapped folders show up under My Network Places, under Internet....

They were;

employees on It.mala.bc.ca &
oet on w6.ed.uiuc.edu

Okay, I looked in my router's DHCP table and there is any entry for Vizlaptop

vizlaptop 192.168.1.103 00-0E-35-AF-8E-7E

This is really beginning to creep me out!

Hi Bcastner,

I looked in my router configuration and I see ESSID, is this the same? If so, should I simply click the radio button for Disabl and be done with it?

What about enabling WAP, is this what I should do?

Thanks for your help, as always you are a wealth of knowledge!

Patty [ponytails2]

Change your router SSID, enable WEP, and or disable ESSID broadcast. These are easier steps to take, and likely WPA is not involved at all in a solution.

It is likely this connection is harmeless, and cursing you for have an unsecured wireless connection.

Since you have no wireless connections at the moment, you could use MAC address filtering as well on the router.

get a metal cookie tin and cover it over your wireless access point (router)

If you aren't currently using the wireless portion of the router, you can turn that off...at least that's the way it is on most Linksys routers....disable wireless

Or, like was mentioned, change your SSID, disable the broadcast of it, and enable WEP..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back