Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange network access problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanson

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
US
I have a user who cannot attach to a share printer on a Win98 Workstation. When you try to install the printer, it says, "network name cannot be found". Oddly, it can access some network resources but not others. There is no rhyme or reason -- it can hit some win98 shares but not others, some NT4.0 servers but not others. It is not a security issue -- I logged into the system and got the same problem.

I believe this has something to do with a corrupted networking setting, and I believe Win98 caches these settings somewhere. Uninstalling and re-installing the network components did not solve the problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

have you checked the IP address on the Win98 are off the same subnet ?
ie 169.156.22.xxx s ?

and also note that Win98 can not be part of the NT domain security feature some times even it hits some network resource, the NT security feature may have prevented win98 machine accessing it,
to add your 98 workstation into NT domain there is a setting in the network property to connect to Windows NT, you need to specify what NT domain it will join in addition to the workgroup setting, if you do this successfully, next time you reboot 98 machine, you will have prompted for username, password and also domain name, you can always hit cancel and skip the password prompt but you would not able to access the NT resource that way

try that and post more here

JDK

1. The problem is not that I am unable to access NT network resources, but that I cannot access certain NT network resources.

2. This does not appear to be security related, because it doesn't matter who logs into the machine. If I log in with full admin rights, I stil can't access certain shares.

3. All network settings, including ip, domain, and workgroup settings, appear to be correct.

4. I forgot to mention in the original post that the user was using the printer and had full access until a couple of days ago.

Hanson

OK, just fixed it.

I moved the NIC to the last PCI slot. It was in the second to last.

I don't know if it was just reseating or if it was necessary to move it, but it works now. MSINFO32 did not show any shared IRQ for the NIC previously.

Hanson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back