Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Name Resolution issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCThakur

Technical User
Feb 22, 2005
BE
Hi,

I have a strange DNS name resolution issue.
I have Windows 2003 domain with Windows NT, 2000 and XP clients. DNS server here is Bind DNS 9.2 with "no dynamic updates". At the time of AD installation, I did not specify a DNS server (because BIND here is not configured for Dynamic DNS). So, after AD installation, i opened netlogon.dns file created by dcpromo.exe and copied everything to BIND zone file. Users seems to login to domain successfully.

When I nslookup from client PCs, it is able to resolve hostnames, i mean, nslookup works fine BUT when i ping using the hostname, it did not!!!
I get the message "unknown host"

The same thing works from some other clients while I do remember that all clients have same configuration.
I have also added primary DNS suffix of my domain.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thankx
Umesh

have you tried pinging both hostname and fully qualified name
ie ping pc1
&
ping pc1.mydomain.com
?

and how do the client hosts register in dns if it isnt dynamic?

Aftertaf

"Resolve is never stronger than the night before it was never weaker

I tried using both hostname as well as FQDN to no avail.
DNS admin has added host records manually in DNS ( we have static ip addressing).
one doubt: if a client's hostname is not registered in DNS then will that host be able to ping or access any other host on the network using hostname/fqdn?

I have my servers added in DNS forward as well as reverse lookup zone. still some clients are unable to ping even these servers using hostname.

thanks for any help.
if you need any more info, let me know.

for your doubt:
yes it can...
example: PC1 is not registered in DNS, PC2 is.
PC1 has the dns server address in order to resolve names... and it doesnt have its name registered then the dns server
dns server can resolve PC2's name if PC1 asks it to...
but DNS can't resolve PC1's name if PC2 asks it, because it doesn't have a record.

clients need the dns server IP in their config to know who to ask for resolution requests.

Aftertaf

sorry to bother you again.
let's take an example. my client pc name is pc01 and it's DNS server is 172.16.0.1 (which is DC n DNS). pc01's name is not registered in DNS. there are 10 servers whose name is registered in DNS. when PC01 will ping any of these 10 servers (whose name is registered in DNS), it MUST be able to resolve the name correctly. right?
BUT...its not the case here. i am unable to resolve any name from pc01. also, when i do nslookup from pc01, and gives any host name, it shows me the correct record info. but ping fails...
I have many clients, most of them have their name registered in DNS but some of them dont. i am experiencing this problem from those hosts who dont have their name registered in DNS AS WELL AS from clients whose name are registered in DNS.

Thankx

1st off....
you aren't bothering me, i dont have a gun to my head here... :)

ok.
PC01 has 172.16.0.1 as its dns server, as do the other servers
when you say ping fails, have you tried a ping by IP address?

things you can try:
-ping via IP and hostname between DNS & another PC, make sure they both work...

-post the result of ipconfig /all of PC01 AND of another client that does work...

You say you had a BIND server, but now your DC does DNS too...
if you dont mind the time it'll take, could you post a list of servers you have that provide network services (DNS, DC, DHCP) and their IP ...
need to get this straight!!!

david

Aftertaf

Have you tried loading a hosts file on a bad machine and see if ping works? Just a thought.

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
"Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough."
Groucho Marx

my client pc name is pc01 and it's DNS server is 172.16.0.1 (which is DC n DNS)"

sorry for the wrong info, actually my DC is not DNS server but DHCP (serving to few clients, all other clients are static).

I tried using HOSTS file and client is able to resolve all those names that are in hosts file.

can it be some network issue? sometimes I also gets events like DNS server could not be contacted. and while logging into domain, sometimes i get domain not available.

I am also having a lot of problems due to this STATIC BIND DNS as I have to manually add SRV records to appropriate zone file after creating addditional DCs and sites...

i seriously recommend you installing windows dns on your DC...
and have it zone transfer to bind...

Aftertaf

I do also think the same way after experiencing so many problems. I don't know whether this is problem with BIND (most unlikely) or with BIND administrator in my org...

Thanks a lot to you all people for the help...
I really appreciate it.

ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Just a thought is your firewall on ???
sounds very very like port blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back