Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange lock up when on hotmail web site

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckes101

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
GB
Hi all and thank you for taking the time to look at my thread. I have just installed XP on a friends machine, Everything is good except when i go to the hotmail email site after about 10 seconds an advertisement on the site(for a Nissan car) comes up and immediately i get an error message saying flash player error. At this point nothing works and i have to leave the site. My friend is on dial up so downloading the latest Microsoft updates is going to take a while. Does anybody have an idea if the Microsoft update will cure this or if i have to download some sort of flash player??

Try downloading the latest Adobe Flash Player and see if you get the same error. If you don't uncheck it, they'll send you the Google Toolbar too.

Can someone with a fast Internet connection manually download most of the XP updates for your friend and save them to Disk or USB?

While on Dial-up and on the actual machine let Windows Update tell you which updates you are missing, make a copy of the update KB numbers.
After that, leave the Windows Update site and go here to Search for and Manually download the required updates. This is what friend could do for you. If you have XP SP2 there will be about 70 or 80 downloads required.

I don't know of any specific to Flash Player other some old ones which recommend you get the latest Flash Player due to security considerations.

WOW..followed your advise and all is now ok. Especially like the XP update job. Thanks guys. Tek tips strikes again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back