Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange IP related problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotNetNewbie

Programmer
Mar 3, 2004
GB
Dear all,

As of last Thursday I started to experience a very strange issue with my laptop.

While at home either via wireless or cable (doesnt make a differnce) I am unable to browse the Internet.

I ensured there was no proxy settings or anything obvious within IE. I even released and renewed my IP address.

I can ping any IP address I can recall or website without a single problem, the moment I want to browse the Internet it simply fails.

I've checked with my IPS and used another computer and laptop so I am sure its just this laptop. Further more I have even taken my laptop to a friends office and home connection and I have the same issue.

I have removed and reinstalled the network drives, disabled the firewall, removed the Anti Virus software but I still am unable to browse.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

.net

Remove any and all temp files (Temporary Internet, cookies, history and the temp folder). Go to start > run and type cmd (or command if it's not w2k or wxp) hit enter.
type ipconfig /flushdns after that runs, type ipconfig /registerdns Next, power off the laptop, leave it off for a minute, power it back on and see if that helps. If not launch the command prompt again and type netstat -e and see if the network card is reporting any errors. Let me know how you make out.

-Chris

DotNetNewbie said:"unable to browse the Internet"

What exactly do you mean, it is quite vague in discription?
What happens? Please explain what you do and what happens.

What browser are you using?
Do you get any error or anything?

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

Hi all,

Chris - I have tried all those; but none make a difference.

Im using Internet Explorer 7, my XP laptop is fully patched.

When opening IE7 and attempt to go to any website it tells me:

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

Now I have also noticed that MSN wont connect either.

I have created a new local user and even logged in as the local administrator and I still get the error, however....

If I reboot the laptop into safe mode with networking I am then able to connect to the Internet...

I do not think this is an IP/Networking issue but a possible issue with XP itself...

Any further thoughts most welcome.

.net

Perhaps this is a firewall issue. If you are able to browse in safe mode, then it must be something running that's causing this issue. Also, possibly some sort of spyware.

mpnut,

I agree, I think it might be a spyware issue, ive just ran a number of tools but nothing seemed to be found. I also ran a winsockfix.exe tool. However this didnt fix the problem either.

I have no firewall enabled on the laptop, the service isnt even running.

.net

How are you connected to the internet? A router or just straight to your cable or DSL modem?

Check your "hosts" file for any rouge entries (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\) open it with Notepad and under all the lines beginning with # the only thing you should have is 127.0.0.1 localhost If there is anything else, you can delete it but make sure you leave the localhost entry.

If you are connected to a router, try connecting straight to your modem and see if you can get out to the internet. If you can than the problem is your router. If your router is having issues, reset it. There is usually a small button on the back you can push in with a pen, hold it down for 5 seconds. That should reset it to factory settings, you'll just have to go back in and set up the wireless connection again.

When you do an IP config, do you get IP address of 192.168.X.X, Subnet Mask and Default gateway or do you just get an IP address of 169.X.X.X with a subnet mask?

Cheers
Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the reply:

1. If I connect to a router or via USB modem I get the same problem.

2. All the hosts files are clean and clear

3. The IP address is a 192.168.x.x

I get the same issue be it at home or via a corporate LAN, this leads me to believe that it is profile/application specific as if I boot into safe mode with networking all is well.

Kind Regards,

.net

A rogue service perhaps?
Check to see if you have any "odd" service installed and disable it if so.
Also, I believe there is a way to configure the MMC so you can configure boot options to isolate the issue but I don't have the time at the moment to walk you through that.
Can someone else further clarify what I'm talking about?
I'll check in later and show you how when I get the chance, got some new fires burning at the moment ......

If it works in safe mode then go to Run --> msconfig and click on services. Check the box "Hide all Microsoft services" then click "Disable All". Restart the machine and see if that corrects the problem. If that corrects the problem then one of the services you disabled is causing the problem.

Hi,

I found the fault, it was the Microsoft Firewall component and service, it wouldnt start for some reason.

I've managed to get it working but I am more concerned how it came to happen so at the weekend I am going to do a rebuild from the recovery disks I have.

Many thanks for everyones help, much appreciated.

Regards,

.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back