Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange IP 127.0.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blesher

MIS
Jun 8, 2006
US
Am using Juno dialup. I connect OK, but cannot access web using Internet Explorer, but I can access web via Netscape and FireFox. When I try to access a site using either IE6 or IE7, I see the site 127.0.0.1 quickly appear in the status bar. I had something called GhostSurfer running, but got rid of it. I have a feeling maybe my IP is being corrupted and info can't get back to me. I can see from the network connection, plenty of data is flowing. I used HiJackThis and removed everything. Any idea what this is and what could be preventing my access via IE. Thanks.

127.0.0.1 is the loopback address, so it seems to be looking at you own computer. Check your IE connection settings, sounds like it may be a proxy or something it's looking for.

Richard

Malware.

See: faq608-4650

You in particular want to download, update, and run the EWIDO/AVG trial of their antimalware product.

Have run NAV2006, Adaware,Spybot, Hijackthis and have cleaned everything. The 127.0.0.1 only appear during dialup and only when using IE6 and IE7. What other settings or programs can I followup on? Thanks.

You have Qhost.
Could you give Panda AV Active Scan a test:

Run this online virus scan:
(You may have to use the utility I linked just above)

You will need to download an ActiveX Control of run the scan. Should you encounter a prompt saying "Click here to use this control", click there.

After scanning, you'll see an option to create a log after the scan has finished. Click the See Report button then click the Save Report button. It will be saved with the name activescan.txt .

Submit the activescan.txt contents back here.

If you are using Spybot or another anti-spyware, they sometimes change your HOSTS file in Windows. If you go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc then you can right click and view the HOSTS file. Anything with an IP Address of 127.0.0.1 will resolve to your local loopback and give you the "page can not be displayed". This is also a great way to stop your kids from viewing certain websites. This might not be your problem, but alot of times the HOSTS file has been changed if you get the loopback ip in your browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back