Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandm

MIS
Dec 3, 2003
US
Hello.

Rarely do I post messages to forums but I'm completely stumped on this one.

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 system. 1.3Ghz, 256MB... I can list the complete specs if need be.

Around 3 months ago I upgraded the 10GB Western Digital drive that was in the system to a 7200 rpm 60GB Western Digital w/8MB cache. I used WD utility to migrate to the new disk. All was well. A month later I replaced the HP 12x CD-RW drive with a Plextor 708A DVD burner... all by itself on the 2nd IDE channel. I had to upgrade the Easy CD Creator 5 software to version 6 in order to use the newer Plextor drive. Again. Everything was working perfectly.

Around a month ago I came into work and fired up my PC. I received a BSOD with the following message:

INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE 0x0000007B (0x818728B0), 0xC0000102, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

I booted from the Windows 2000 CD and fired up the Recovery Console which instantly presented me with a C:\>. I wasn't prompted for an administrator password. The DIR command gave me the following error:

An error occurred during directory enumeration.

I proceeded to run CHKDSK /P /R. CHKDSK reported it found an error and that it's been repaired. I was then able to get a listing with the DIR command. I rebooted the PC and all was happy again.

The next time I came in and had to power up the system cold, I got the same BSOD. You'd figure maybe the drive just isn't spinning up in time but even with a reset the same error came up. Another boot to the Recovery Console, another CHKDSK /P /R allowed me to get into W2K.

I've been dealing with this for a month now. I've probably done the Recovery Console - CHKDSK /P /R procedure 12-15 times to get into the system.

What research I've done on the Internet has given me little to go on. I found this article about Easy CD Creator:
It didn't work. I also found this article here Tek-Tips:
I made this change to the Registry: ClearPageFileAtShutdown = 1 in HKey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/Memory Management.

The horrible thing is that after I set ClearPageFileAtShutdown = 1, I shutdown and restarted the PC four times without issue. I'd power it down and let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes and restart without any problems. I figured I'd solved the problem and shut down my PC for the night. I came back in the following morning and booted to the dreaded BSOD.

I'm losing my patience with this machine. I could do a fresh install. I have a large amount of applications installed to do my job... of course it would be a pain to reinstall them all. I keep telling myself this problem has got to be something stupid/simple.

Thanks for reading... any help would be appreciated.

Hmm. I did a cut an dpaste on the search bar at google and came up with some interesting info. One suggestion (from was to replace your hd cable. Try using the one that came with the new drive.

Ok, after 24 hours cracking my head i managed to get a solution to the error:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xED41B84C, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000) Inaccessible Boot Device. Its basically the same problem, and the cause its Easy CD Creator 5! It forgets a file there!!!

You just have to consider this link (microsoft):

As it is for winXP, it still can be used for win2k if you consider only the METHOD2 repair procedure, and:

edit the Regedt32.exe on the windows whith problems,
and the Regedit on the new windows installation.

The "new installation" (another win2k) can be in another parallel/master hd, partition or else, as it is only used to edit the registry of the "old" windows. For this refer to:

Posted by AAron Ford on April 9, 2002.

Follow the indications and it will solve your problem.

Outubro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back