Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Graphics Card Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2001
GB
I was recently asked by someone to take a look at their computer (their kid had broke it). Anyway, I got all the disks he had with it (including drivers) and proceeded to format the computer.
I put Windows 98 SE on no problem. Then I came to put the graphics in. The driver disk is one of those which is designed for numerous systems, i.e. theres loads of choices. Anyway, I picked the one which seemed most relevant to his system.
Rebooted the computer and seemed to have success. The graphics could now go up to 1600x1200 32bit True Colour.
Then I installed the sound card. Anyway, once the computer had booted back up, the sound was there, but the graphics had gone back down to 640x480 256 colours. I can increase this to 32bit, but no higher than 640x480.
I then decided to install the latest DirectX to see if that would help. It seemed to because once the computer had rebooted, I could change the resolution back to 1600x1200.
Next, I installed a motherboard diagnostics program. Had to reboot the computer, and what a surprise....graphics back down to 640x480 256 colours. Then I thought the graphics drivers might be a bit dodgy, so I went to the manufacturers site (by the way, the card is a Trident Blade 3D PCI\AGP) and downloaded the latest drivers.
Installed them and they seemed to work. I could even change the resolution to 720x480 which I couldn't before. I installed something else, had to reboot and you've guessed it, graphics back down to minimum.
So, at this point in time, I am stuck with 640x480 on either 256 colours, 16bit or 32bit. If I install any new driver for any new hardware, I can change the resolution, but once its rebooted it goes back to not being good.

Hmmmmm!

Has anyone else had this problem before, either with this card or a different one?

Is the motherboard newer than 1998? If the motherboard was manufactured after the release of win98se, then win98 will not have good functioning drivers for the motherboard.

Try to load a win98-path/driver for the motherboard first, before any graphics.

Are you sure it's the right driver ? Have you checked ON the video card to see what model it was ?, maybe it's just the wrong card you're trying to install.

GREGOIRE : I'm sure thats the right type of card...heres a site with the specs of the motherboard on it (remember, the card is onboard)

CLAESB : Try to load a win98-path/driver for the motherboard first, before any graphics.

What is one of these? I've installed a '4in1' driver which puts on stuff like IDE, UMA, PCI ISA Bridge drivers etc. Is this what you mean? If not, do you know where I can get one?

It just seems strange that after installing anything then rebooting the computer, I can change the resolution, but once rebooted again, it goes back down to minimum. Out of all the computers I have ever sorted out, this has never happened.

Thanks

Its alright...I downloaded an updated driver and it worked.

Regards

I've had exactly the same problem with one machine I built. I even tried different AGP cards, but Windows would only recognise them as basic VGA. I tried downloading up to date drivers for one of them, but even that didn't work. I've dismantled the system now and decided to start a new system from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back