Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Editor Behavior in RH 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedawk

Programmer
Feb 5, 2002
US
I noticed that my text editor in RH 9 behaves weired: no matter the text editor, or gedit, or office editor, when I typed in text. the cursor would jump suddenly from current position to another position, the new position is kind of random. It happens quite frequently, So far, I only check these three editors, all of them had the same observation.

Any solution to this? It will tedious if I have to re-install it.

Are you sitting on the console or logging in via telnet/ssh?

No, I just used the desktop environment. Why did you ask this question? Something related to this?

Strangely enough I do remember experiencing the same problem. But it was several years back, and if I remember correctly it was due to a problem with the terminal emulation on the console. Logging in via a telnet/ssh worked ok, but sitting directly on the console had problems as you describe. I don't think it's related to what you are seeing.

The only thing I can think of that might be causing your problems, is the mouse driver, because that's the only thing that can control the cursor, bvesides 'typing'.

Other than that, I don't have a clue...

~Mike

oh? you did have the same thing happen a while ago? That confirms this is not my installation problem or my hardware problem. How did you solve it? I don't understand what you meant the mouse driver. What can I do with the mouse driver and 'typing'?

Mike,

I think you're right about mouse: I intentionally put the mouse over the title bar(the blue bar on the top), the strange behavior gone. So it seems sometimes the mouse activates itself even no clicking. I don't know if anyway to config it.

Try running kudzu or mouse-config to re-detect the mouse. I might update your settings and drivers.

ok, eventually I figured out why and how to fix it. But wait, I lack something to understand what is really going on:

the reason: RH 9 doesn't have my laptop touchpad's driver. Therefore, the touchpad tap option is set to "ON" by default. Slight vibration or touching will activate the touchpad.

Curement: I found a link for my Synaptics touchpad driver for Linux. It should fix this problem according to the description. Here is the link:

Problem: After downloading and looked at the "INSTALL" file, which is the same as a readme file. I don't know it really change the touchpad settings. For those interested in, here I post the INSTALL file, please tell me how to set touchpad if anyone has experience on this. I don't really know what to do actually.

============================================
needs: - XFree 4.x
- Using with Kernel 2.4.x for x < 10 needs a kernel-patch (see
source-code)

1. If you installing the driver by binary (recommended) you can go to
step 3.

2. Change in the &quot;Makefile&quot; the path to the xfree-sourcecode tree by
changig the Variable TOP. Then type &quot;make&quot; to build the driver
&quot;synaptics_drv.o&quot;.

3. Copy the driver-modul &quot;snyaptics_drv.o&quot; into the XFree-module path
&quot;ex. /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/&quot;.

4. Load the driver by changig the XFree configuration file through
adding the line 'Load &quot;synaptics&quot;' in the modul-section.

5. Add/Replace in the InputDevice-section for the touchpad the
following lines:

Section &quot;InputDevice&quot;
Driver &quot;synaptics&quot;
Identifier &quot;Mouse[1]&quot;
Option &quot;Device&quot; &quot;/dev/psaux&quot;
Option &quot;Edges&quot; &quot;1900 5400 1800 3900&quot;
Option &quot;Finger&quot; &quot;25 30&quot;
Option &quot;MaxTapTime&quot; &quot;20&quot;
Option &quot;MaxTapMove&quot; &quot;220&quot;
Option &quot;VertScrollDelta&quot; &quot;100&quot;
Option &quot;MinSpeed&quot; &quot;0.02&quot;
Option &quot;MaxSpeed&quot; &quot;0.18&quot;
Option &quot;AccelFactor&quot; &quot;0.0010&quot;
# Option &quot;Repeater&quot; &quot;/dev/ps2mouse&quot;
# Option &quot;SHMConfig&quot; &quot;on&quot;
EndSection

Change the Identifier to the same name as in the ServerLayout-section.
The Option &quot;Repeater&quot; und &quot;SHMConfig&quot; are at the moment for testing.

6. Add the &quot;CorePointer&quot; option to the InputDevice line at the ServerLayout section:

Section &quot;ServerLayout&quot;
InputDevice &quot;Mouse[1]&quot; &quot;CorePointer&quot;

7. Start/Restart the X-Server. If the touchpad doesn't work go to
step 8.

8. a) Check the XFree-Logfiles
b) Try to start the XServer with 'startx -- -logverbose 8' for more
Output
If you can't get the driver working, mail the logfiles and the
configuration file to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search