Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange DVD writing problem on XP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDennis

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
GB
I have 2 XP machines exhibiting the following identical problem with DVD writers. I can read CDs and DVDs. I can write on RW discs or RAM discs but normal -R DVDs fail after about 6% of typically 3GB transfer. I have used 4 different suppliers blank DVDs with the same result.

Machine A has XP pro with SP2 and updates. The drive is a new LG GSA H55N and the burning software is NERO as supplied with the drive. Nero just hangs with the drive locked.

Machine B has XP home and is a new build with SP2 and updates.The drive is Lite-on LH-20A1P and the burning software is Ashampoo Burning studio 6. At failure the error message is "Could not write to device" Burning studio hangs and the drive is locked.
Also on this system is a Lite-on 851S which works perfectly with studio 6.

The 20A1P has just been removed from a frame running W2K with Burning studio 6 where it has worked perfectly for some months.

It seems to point to an XP problem but I cant find any references in Knowlege bases.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful

TIA

John

Are both PC's running the same hardware/software for the most part (with the exception of the burner)? It could be caused by something that's running in the background on both.

As a test, get your hands on a spare drive. Pick one of the PC's and pull the system drive. Detach as many devices as you can that aren't needed for now. Make it so that the burner and the hard drive have their own IDE channel (assuming neither is SATA). Throw the spare in and do a clean install. Only apply Windows updates and the necessary drivers for devices that Windows doesn't recognize on its own. Avoid downloading hardware updates from Microsoft at this point. Also install Nero and see if it made any difference.

This will give you a good idea as to whether it's a hardware or software problem...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thanks Cdogg. Machine A is AMD 1.4Gb processor with 0.5Gb ram and 2 EIDE discs. Machine B is Intel dual core 1.8Gb with 1GB ram.SATA system disc and 2 EIDE disks. Both run Photoshop mainly. Machine B also runs Ulead Studio 10. Both have AVG free which would be running during DVD writing.

Thanks for suggestion re test - I will try this but it will take a day or 2 to set up.

Yeah, I know it's a pain but keeping it as clean as possible will help you narrow down the cause. Remember not to reinstall any 3rd-party software like AVG or Ulead. Only install Nero for burning.

Also, if you still have problems after the clean install, post back with the exact version of Nero.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein

could be the Nero version. some of the older versions don't play well with newer hardware.
try using an ATA33 cable to the drives and see if that will help.
you can also change settings in the bios to simulate ATA33. I do believe that Cdogg has that info for the Bios set up.
I find it easier just to swap cables.

In Services try setting the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service to Manual. if it is set as automatic it will cause issues.

Thanks, it also occurs to me that the DVD drives I am having problems with are both multi format double layer recent spec. The one that works OK is a fairly old single layer. Could there be a driver problem with XP. Not sure how to check for latest XP drivers.

Nero is version 7 as supplied with the LG drive.Problem also occurs with Ashampoo Burning 6. IMAP service is set to manual. Cable has been transferred from earlier systems so possibly not ATA33 will check.
Thanks

The possibility that the DVD drives do not recognize the medium in use, is very likely...

I would suggest a firmware update, ie. for the LiteOn just as a test...

Firmware:
LiteOn

LG
couldn't find a direct link... so there you would have to search on the LG website for the firmware update...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

1) Yeah, the firmware update could make a difference, but since you've already tried 4 different brands, it's hard to say with confidence if it will.

2) If it's an older 40-conductor cable, change it to an 80-conductor and vice versa if it's already an 80 cable.

3) Go ahead and buy a small pack of Verbatim blank DVD's (I've had the most luck with these). See if that makes any difference.

If those three quick tests don't work, then the clean format looks to be your last resort before blaming the hardware.

~cdogg

Machine B now fixed - one IDE cable was old 40 way. Changed to 80 way and DVD now writing OK. Had to update firmware in drive and change from Ashampoo 6 to Nero 7 supplied with the drive to get reliable results. (Ashampoo appeared to write the DVD ok and verified OK but none of my 4 drives could read the result and yes it was finalised.)

Machine A is still exhibiting the same problem and has the 80 way cable already fitted. Plan to move the drive to the working system to check if drive is faulty.

Thanks again to all those who offered help. This is a great forum.

Believe it or not, some DVD burners from just two-three years ago actually still "preferred" to have a 40-wire cable instead of the 80. So also try to switch the cable just in case.

~cdogg

Hi, maybe, I say maybe its your firmware ?
Have a look at as I had a similar problem with my DVD burner and this resolved it.
Using NERO also gave a problem with McAfee which needed this to be run from the command prompt, Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll..
Hope this resolves your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back