Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strange display issue on m3904

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobzeon

Technical User
Jun 10, 2012
US
We have several M3904s that are being used as ACD agents. During an office renovation last week, several of these phones were tossed around and had their displays "bruised." I had several replacements in stock and I was able to swap out the bulk of them. However, one phone -- or line, I should say, as multiple physical sets behave the same on this line -- is having some issues.

It will only display the date/time in the middle of the screen. No key labels on the top, no labels on the softkeys below. Otherwise, the line works fine. Dial tone, receives calls, makes calls. MakeSetBusy button behaves as it should, but nothing on the display.

The menus display properly if I go into the phone options, and if I do the display diagnostics, the empty spaces are able to display characters, etc. It's just not displaying what it should be displaying.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Have you been into LD 32 and done a FSUM ALL to list out the firmware details against that TN?. You might have an out of date firmware on the phone.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

On to something here, I think, but not quite there yet.

On this set, if I try a FWVU or FDLU, I get a NPR039 -- timeout, right? On the other, functional sets, FWVU gives me the proper sort of response.

I've seen this when the wrong type of set is plugged in. The port being built as a 3903 and a 3904 plugged in.

Definitely built as TYPE 3904 and definitely a 3904 physical set being plugged in.

Some help below for you.

The general rules for identifying versions of firmware for the M3903, M3904 and M3905 sets are as
follows:
• Release 1 firmware vintages are less than version 4.0 (<40 from LD 32
FWVU response).
• Release 2 firmware vintages are greater than or equal to version 4.0 (>= 40
from LD 32 FWVU response).
• Release 3 firmware vintages are greater than or equal to version 8.0 (>= 80
from LD 32 FWVU response).

#############################################################

Details:
Unable to access any overlays on call server, OVL306 given on TTY. This was the result of a failed FDLU to an M3903 telset in my case, I suspect pertinent to all M3900 range of phones however.
After accessing load 32 by using the suspension command and an FWVU is run against the affected TN you get 'PSDL IS NOT IDLE' message
Fix:
Use the suspend command to access ld 32, use fdlc to cancel the suspended command, disable & enable the affected card and re-commence a subseqent FDLU.
This time, in my case, the download was successful.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I don't believe this is a firmware issue. I swapped out the older replacement phone (which likely had an older firmware) with a few of the recently used "bruised" sets. Same behavior on all. According to Options -> Display diagnostics -> F/W Version, it is at the same firmware as all of the other functioning sets.

Again, everything works properly. The labels on all keys are just blank.

More info -- just discovered this. When a call is answered, there is some life on the bottom-row softkeys, but it's completely different from expected. Where we would normally see Conf, Transfer, etc. there is only VMsg on the left-most key. I've never seen VMsg before in all my time here.

Only date/time can mean that the TN is disabled.

Have you taken the phone back to the PBX frame and connected it there to see if it does the same, and have you connected it in another location with a known good phone, to see if the problem is good there? These options will help determine if the problem is wiring, phone or TN based. Another thing to do is to IDU the phone to make sure it does show up as the correct type of phone. During your renovations, someone may have inadvertantly messed with the wiring, flipped pairs, or labelled them wrong when reinstalling.

Have you tried the replacement phone at another location, preferably a location that has a working phone? Other than that I would build another 3904 on a vacant TN and force download to the replacement phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back