Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange disk size error

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruxty

Programmer
Jul 17, 2001
PT
Hi,

I've a Domain Controller with D$ shared.
This disk have 20Gb, with 12Gb free... but when i try to copy some files to the disk from other computer appears a message saying that there isn't space available!
Any ideia?

Tkx to all help given,
K

Are quota enabled perhaps?

Long shot, but is the D partition FAT32 and are you trying to copy a file larger than 2 GB?

The disc is FAT32 and files are larger than 2GB!
By your answer i can see that this is a problem! There are any patch to solve this? Or i need to format it to NTFS?
Why does this happen?

Kruxty,

The FAT32 file system has a max file size of 2 GB, nothing you can do about it...

The FAT32 file system has a max file size of 2 GB, nothing you can do about it..."

Even if i copy from FAT32 to FAT32? There aren't anyway of a FAT32 get a 2GB file through a copy?

I don't believe that this is a partition type issue. What I would do is first: Can you copy a smaller size file to this share? If not, then it could be a permission issue on your share. Try creating a new share. If you can copy over a smaller file (100 MB) then you might want to make sure disk compression is not enabled on that partition.

It could also be that the file is compressed on the originator and the destination is uncompressed. The originator then uncompresses the file locally then copies it. So if the originator does not have space for the file and an uncompressed copy also, you will get a disk space warning, but it is really the originator it is referring too.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back