Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Dial-up problem with IE 5.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuJuBean

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
US
I have a rather strange issue that I hope someone can help me resolve. I cannot launch IE 5.0 from the launch bar, or double clicking on the IE icon. I get a server cannot be found error message and the Dial-up Connect screen does not appear. I can only connect by going to the Internet Options, Connection screen and selecting "Always dial my default connection." This works only one time. The setting defaults to "Never dial a connection" when the session is ended. The next time I want to connect to my ISP I have to go through this routine again! Now, here is the strange part. I can connect to the net by launching the Outlook Express from the quick launch taskbar. The Dial-up connect screen works as it should. I have re-installed my op system and yet the problem persists. I have checked my Bios and there doesn't seem to be any unusual settings in it.

My setup:
Gateway PC
350 MHz Processor
Win2K Pro
96 Meg Ram
20 GB HD

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Why not try upgrading your IE? You're on 5.0 now, try upgrading to 5.5 or 6.0? Still have the problem, write back.

I agree with Jeremy, try the upgrade and see if that corrects the problem.
If it doesn't, you may want to check your registry settings and see if a rogue program is adjusting your browser settings.
Go to and download "RegCleaner" and install it. When you run it, it will show you everything that is loading at startup and allow you to remove the unwanted or unknown programs.
If you see something there that looks strange or unfamiliar to you, you may want to remove it (the program allows you to put it back if you remove it erroneously)
So, lets see if either of these help.
Good Luck
Rockit55

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back