Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Database Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrian

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
CA
I'm having an issue with the program I'm working on. It seems like for some reason, every once in a while the connection to the database errors out. It works fine most of the time, but on occasion, it errors out. It's not giving me ANY reasons for the errors, just error 5: Unspecified error. The database is being run localy. If anyone needs some snippets of the code, I can provide that as well.

Most of the pages that describe this error (from what I've found by looking on google) suggest that it is a case of too many connections - could you look at using an alternative db?

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Ok... Looks like one of the connections wasn't being closed for some reason. I fixed that, and it seems to be working now! I'm very mad at myself for not seeing it. The connection was in my "Connect" sub, which returns a dataset, and I was only looking at the "Execute" sub, which executes commands (ie Delete, Insert, Update, etc...) Thanks a lot, everyone. Seems to be all fixed!

i have experienced the same error in one of my application using Access Database. The problem likely is from Connection not being properly closed before opening another instance.

Also check if you call a dll functions all the time. Make sure you close the function call before calling another instance of this function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back