Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Cursor Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

selif

Technical User
Feb 20, 2011
Windows XP Pro SP3, Toshiba Satellite Pro L500 EZ1530

(the laptop is new last Spring and, unlike most people I know, I always practice safe hex.)

My cursor is showing the oddest behavior I have ever seen and I've been around computers since long before point and click.

This started Saturday evening. I first noticed it after I had a minor coffee spill that pretty much drowned my cordless mouse and I got everything cleaned up and tried to get back to work.

If I click on *anything* in my browser (firefox 3.6.12), be it a link, bookmark, menu item, whatever. I then have to click on an empty spot on my desktop before I am allowed to click on anything else, regardless of what it is.

I thought it might be the mouse having a problem because of the coffee spill and disconnected it and switched to the touchpad. No joy, the cursor continues to have the same behavior.

Also, I noticed that when I click on an empty spot on the desktop (no, it's not always the same place), there is sometimes a small white square that appears a variable distance from the cursor to the lower left.

I've had a problem lately with the right shift key being stiff and difficult to use like there was something under it. I tried to look under it but couldn't and so decided to try removing it to clean the are out. It could not be removed. on further inspection it looked like the enter key might be in the way and have to be removed first so I tried that.

I was able to remove the enter key but in spite of my efforts to be careful I manged to break that impossibly small plastic part under it (which means that while I could put it back, its not "right").

Given that result, I decided not to continue trying to remove the shift key.

I did check and have confirmed that NONE of the coffee spill got into the computer orkeyboard. I gave the machine as thorough an inspection as I could and there was NO indication whatsoever that coffee had gotten anywhere near the touchpad, let alone into it Yet this odd behavior did not start until after that happened.

Is it possible that there is some key on a partially flakey keyboard that could be effecting mouse/cursor behavior? I checked "StickyKeys" and it's disabled. but aren't there others, albeit rarely used anymore, that might account for this oddness?

I should also point out that this is NOT limited to just my browser. I have found that when I run a Java app, I am unable to click on ANY of the buttons in the GUI. Needless to say this renders those programs useless in the worst way.

Whatever program I'm trying to use (java or otherwise), I get one click, then have to click the desktop before I'm allowed to click anything else in that program.

The best I could get from the Toshiba help desk is a recommendation to remove and re-install the Synaptics Pointing Device driver. I did so and there was no change.

I have NEVER seen or heard of anything like this before!

This is a major P.I.T.A. and is making it bloody difficult to get my work done. Especially when you consider that I normally keep a couple of dozen browser tabs open and with this problem that's really difficult to manage.

If anybody can offer me a clue to getting this fixed I'd appreciate it a LOT!

Do you see the same behavior in Safe Mode? Do you see it in Normal Mode if you test with another user?

How many Pointing Devices are listed in the Device Manager? If you remove the lot, reboot, and then allow Windows to rediscover them does that make any difference?

Getting your Keyboard fixed might involve a replacement Keyboard.

Yes, it also happens in safe mode, there are no other normal user accounts

device manger lists two devices. Both have been removed and re-installed. No difference.

I was able to do further testing with a Kubuntu 10.10 live cd.

Equally strange though mostly different oddities plague the different OS booted from a CD-ROM. Including things like windows and applications suddenly minimizing or closing with no warning and more.

This tells me that the problem is NOT a software issue of any kind. It is a hardware problem.

Apparently when trying to free the stuck right shift key I caused some kind of short or other issue.

A new keyboard has been ordered.

I'll report back when it's installed but I am fairly confident that will solve the issue once and for all.

thanks.

Update:

I have replaced the keyboard and other than no longer having broken keys, It made no difference, the problem still persists.

I have also used system restore to load a restore point from four days before this behavior started. This also had no effect.

Please, if anyone has a clue what's going on I'd sure appreciate it! I've tried everything I can think of at this point and nothing is making any difference.

In short, I *REALLY* need some help here

Check to see if:

Disable touch pad in BIOS and see if a NEW external mouse will behave??

BIOS update??

Firmware update for touch pad??

Driver update for touch pasd??

In that order please.

What Warranty comes with the machine, is it still covered by any Warranty? Coffee spills might not be, but then any household contents Insurance Policies might cover such an accident?

Maybe it is time to consider a computer repair shop if all else fails?

Toshiba Warranties are (used to be?) pretty good value, with repairs without question (including accidental liquid spills) in my experience. The guys in the service centers get paid (by Toshiba) for doing warranty repairs, not for turning customers away. It's a matter of goodwill, and good service encourages brand loyalty. I'd get it checked before the year is up.

In this case the drowned mouse is separate from the machine, and bears no relation to the problems still experienced when the mouse is disconnected.

However, have you eliminated possible radio interference from phones or any other radio frequency devices like microwaves?

If you have wireless internet, try changing the channel from 11 or 5 to 3, or 1. Free programs like InSSIDer and Wi-Spy can show if there is channel congestion/radio interference in your workspace, and which channels could have least interference.

Yes exactly: "In this case the drowned mouse is separate from the machine, and bears no relation to the problems still experienced when the mouse is disconnected."

So, if under warranty, customer did nothing TRACEABLE that could void his warranty. Granted it was a bad thing to have happen, but no tech could trace the problem to an EXTERNAL drowned mouse.

Upshot: If it is under warranty, time to go down that road pretty soon.

@goombawaho

The BIOS is up to date. While I could not disable the touchpad in the BIOS (it was not an option on any BIOS screen and I checked them all).

While the machine was off I also removed and re-seated the memory chips because of an odd sounding story from somebody who reported similar difficulties.

I rebooted after checking the BIOS with the mouse still disconnected and suddenly the mysterious behavior was gone. The touchpad now performed fine. All symptoms gone. Everything I had not been able to do now worked properly.

As a test, I reconnected the mouse and the odd behavior returned. I disconnected it and the oddness remained. It took rebooting without that particular mouse for things to work right.

I've replaced the guilty mouse and now I'm off to think of something suitably destructive to use that old mouse for.

The whole thing leaves me feeling like an entry-level dunce for not figuring this out weeks ago.

Has your new Mouse got a raincoat or umbrella?

Glad you have solved the problem.

now I'm off to think of something suitably destructive to use that old mouse for.
Maybe not destructive, but how about a sewing machine pedal. . .

I guess I thought you had certainly tried restarting the computer WITHOUT the problem mouse attached at some point!!!!

Regardless - Weird!!!!

I guess I thought you had certainly tried restarting the computer WITHOUT the problem mouse attached at some point!!!!

Yeah, it was definitely a "duh moment" for certain.

My bad for assuming that/reading that into your post, but you got it fixed.

Try removing the laptop battery and then refit it.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Ignore the last.....damn, too late you've read it.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back