Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange cookie problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDE024

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
US
An odd situation involving cookies has brought me here, hoping to get some help. I'm running IE6.0 w/Window 98se.

A site I've been apart of for a long time, is locking me out of private forums from my home CPU. It allows me to login with no problem, but when I enter a private password protected forum, it accepts the password only to put me back at the password enter screen?

My privacy settings are set to medium and have always been w/o an issue. I've tried going back to IE 5.5, but its no different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cookie handling is different and more control is given with IE6...from InternetOptions/Privacy hit the Advanced button for the variations. (I never accept 3rd party cookies but allow session and 1st party cookies.)
I have noticed some sites are not accessible without passing thru the "portal" where you're given at least one cookie and then are permitted to go on...
Experiment with it...that's probably where the problem is...

Yeah, I've gone back to IE6.0 and have the same options checked. Even if I enter the site as a trusted site, it doesn't work.

I've been told I may need to reinstall Windows. Trust me I've tried most everything. I know for sure it isn't a problem w/the site, because it functions perfectly from work.

Just wanted to know if there is anything deeper involving cookies in the reg settings.. or anything more advanced that could correct the issue.

Hi

I´m having simular problem except from the other end, I´m a website manager. A user told me he could log in and browse all pages, but when he opens a popup page (several like that, printerfriendly pages) he has to login again !!!

Nothing has changed in over a year in my cookie handling, and they´re working perfectly, so I asked the guy for his settings, os and browser type.
He´s using win98, IE6.0 and his cookie settings in IE are set too medium.

I´m pretty sure this is some kind of setting problem at his side, but I cant see the problem

If you figure out whats wrong I´d really like to know.

In my case, I'm able to login into the forum w/no problems. However when I enter password for private areas, it doesn't send me there even though it says it is.. There is nothing more I'd like than to solve this issue trust me.. :)

I am having a very similar problem. I have a new website that uses session cookies to maintain state. I have pages that open popup windows. When the popup window is closed the opener window has lost its session state. The strange thing is that this only happens with IE6.0 (with and without SP1). I have tried every combination of privacy settings possible. It appears as tho IE6 is deleting the session cookie set by "opener" window when the popup window closes. I am developing in ASP and my client machine is IE6.0/XP. I have seen this same problem reported on several forums but no-one seems to have an answer yet.

This may be useful to the web developers on this thread.

I had a session state issue with a test user that upgraded to ie6 (straight to sp1 - so I don't know if it affects ie6 pre-sp1).

Suddenly session vars were not being maintained - after much head scratching and staring at code I discovered the problem was with the server name (of all things).

If you have a server name that includes non-alphanumeric characters (the common mistake being _ underscore - i.e. you will get a loss of session state from your up to now perfectly functioning asp apps.....

Change the name of the server (ouch) - this is of course where you start to cry if you have hardcoded any server names into your app. Doh.....

Fortunately for me my development was on a test server (installed AND NAMED by someone else) - so I took no blame and had no down time...

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Paul F

Check the date and timeare correct on your computer.

For no apparent reason this can become set to the future (it's not as uncommon as you might think)

If this is the case your cookie will not be accepted.

steam

I may have a workaround for this problem. I have no idea why this works and discovered it by accident but, it does work consistently. I am running IE6.0/XP and Office2002. When I leave an Outlook window open, I am not loosing session state by opening a popup window. However, If I log in to a site which uses session cookies and then close my Outlook window, I consistently loose my session state. There must be some incompatibility between the cookie handling in Outlook and cookie handling in IE.

Does anybody know how to get Microsoft to fix this problem?

Microsoft fixes problams?? When I downgraded from win 2000 to win 98 I had problams with ie6 so I just reinstalled the
the browser from my win 98 disk and it solved all but one problam. When I log on to this site I have problams. As long as it is one site I will live with it for now. I know it is IE mangling the cookie but have not found out why.

Is the problem is with every site requiring to enter a password?

Here are few additional things you can try. There is more to it but you can start with this:

1 - Internet Options
General - delete cookies, delete files, clear history
Security - default level for internet, add the site to trusted sites
Content - Clear SSL State, Autocomplete - clear forms, clear passwords
Advanced - restore defaults, make sure Use SSL 2.0 and 3.0 is checked
2 - Verify date and time are correct
3 - Check cipher strength - should be 128 bit.
4 - uninstall firewalls and antivirus
5 - If in xp Disable the ICF
6 - Test the IE in Safe mode w/ networking if cable or LAN
7 - Verify cryptographic service's status is started
net start CryptSvc
8 - Re-register the dll's -
regsvr32 SOFTPUB.DLL
regsvr32 WINTRUST.DLL
regsvr32 INITPKI.DLL
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll