Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Characters Occur When Typing New Event in SK98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCALAK

Technical User
Feb 16, 2002
US

To Do's did not forward and got Invalid File MAST.WK when changing time periods. Use SK98 with W2000 Prof

Downloaded and installed Sidekick.exe patch. BOTH PROBLEMS SOLVED . . . . B U T

NEW PROBLEM HAS DEVELOPED . . . when typing in a new Event, the first few letters are garbage

e.g. when "New Event" was typed in, it showed up as " èø ew Event "

Responses to suggestions thus far:

- not using FileBox extender

- run SK98 on desktop & laptop which both are W2K Prof operating systems; same problem on both machines; seems to rule out video card

- checked Task Mgr on both machines and Rundll32.exe is NOT running in background

- Don’t plan to “Download & install Windows XP Service Pack 1” since I’m running a W2K Prof operating system

Has anyone using SK98 with a W2K operating system found a solution to this problem????

My problem began with the time designation [e.g., 2:00-2:30] being followed by gibberish whenever I tried to to insert a new appointment. Now it's progressed to the point where even the time signature doesn't show up when I click to make an appointment.

Following the suggestions above, I searched for Rundill32.exe. I found two (plus a bunch that were part of Stuffit and didn't seem relevant. I deleted the one that seemed most likely (in C:\Windows\ServicePackFolders\i386) and restarted Sidekicki but the problem remained. I deleted the other Rundill32.exe [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32], but that brought up dire warnings from Windows so I restated it.

I'm running XP home with SP2, both installed at the same time, and Sidekick98.

Dear Rahamim,

I presume that Rundill32.exe is Rundll32.exe?
as it does appeear ;-) twice in your post
I am just checking the obvious.

Otherwise, did you have to update a Video driver when you installed the service patch?
I am searching for straws here as some people have the problem and some don't.

Jim, you were right -- just a misspelling. Also, I don't recall updating a video driver during the installation of XP (which also included the service pack). Of course, Windows could have done it on its own, or subsequently as part of an automatic update.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. And I would have replied sooner had I received an e-mail that a response to my question had been posted. Are they not being sent anymore?

Good luck as you continue to collect straws. Tony

Dear Rahamin,
Your name is not up in the notify area, so you need to click there again!
It has worked most times for me.
I have never had the problem as I did not have the hardware but now I have acquired an XP Pro machine and will be working to create the problem on it and will let you know if I come up with any solution.
WATCH THIS SPACE!
If anyone else has any ideas Please feel free to Post!

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

have been using sidekick for years Haven't seen a better program yet Got rid of most of my bugs when i shut off all the pop-up stoppers and re-loaded the program
pmauto1232aol.com

Dear M33911,

Tried that and it didi nothing for me. Perhaps someone out there has answers.

Selwyn Mendelsohn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back