Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange blocky graphics and reddish stripes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickname89

Technical User
Jan 21, 2003
DE
Everytime i boot windows xp, there are reddish blocks or stripes on my desktop. They are overlaying all applications, games, etc. Their appearence changes from blocks to stripes if I change the resolution.
Comparable graphic errors also appear on the startup screen and on the asus-logo screen that shows before the boot process starts.
I did not install new hard- or software.
I tried to update the graphic-drivers and to reinstall an old one, but it didn´t change a thing.

Athlon XP 2200
Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
512 333 DDR Samsung Ram
ASUS A7V8x

Do you have access to another monitor that you can try?
How is your monitor if you have that powered on but the rest of the machine switched off?

1. What does the monitor do on another PC that is working ok?

2. What about another video card?

Dave Y

It´s not the monitor.
I tried 2 different models.
But I´ll have a try with the video card.
Thanks, so far!

It´s the video card. I installed an old diamond card and it worked normal. But with the Radeon installed I still get the graphic errors.
Is it possible that it´s not a harware problem with the video card? Maybe a bios problem or anything?

From ATI's site:

"A corrupted display may be noticed under the following conditions:
A system with a RADEON 9700 PRO 128 MB
The system has been started
Only a small number of configurations may be affected.

Customers report changing the power supply in an affected system resolves the corruption. If another power supply is available, it is advised to install it for testing.

A 300 Watt power supply or greater is recommended to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.

Should the issue persist, please provide the following information to ATI CustomerCare:
your name
address
phone number
e-mail address
part numbers of affected graphics board
make and model of power supply
make and model of motherboard
a completed ATI Problem Report
INFO-BASE# 4075

KEYWORDS: RADEON 9700 for PC COLD BOOT CORRUPTION DISPLAY"

Status
Not open for further replies.