Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange behaviour on Joins

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdr

MIS
May 14, 2003
GB
I am using sql server 2000. I am developing a star schema for a dwh. there are two problem tables, sales and categories. sales is made up of key fields from the other tables EG... sales.categoryid = category.id

However, i have a problem

Select *
from sales

RETURNS 20,862,231 records

whereas

select *
from sales inner join category
on sales.categoryid = categories.id

RETURNS 22,514,518 records

I have verified that there are no categoryid in the sales table that do not exist in the categories table. There are no nulls in either table.

Thanks for any help

Hi mdr,

It seems that while populating sales table you may have used tables other than categories table. in that case the join on id may get reduced result.

Or, the other situation is that you might have inserted distinct values in sales table, and there are a few duplicated entries found in the categories table.

Most likely you can run the select query again (which you have used to insert data in sales table initially) and check that how many record count it is giving now.

Raj

Thanks for that Raj. Will have a look and see if that solves my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back