Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange BEEPS after POST and PC going idle time to time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djazia

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
FR
Here my MOBO:

motherboard: ASUS A7V133C
CPU: AMD 800 Mhz
Video card: Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 GTS Pro M64
RAM: 512 SDRAM (2*256)
HD 80Gb IBM

I changed my MOBO about 2 years ago and since I have a strange behoviour from my PC but not really bothering:
When I start my PC, it goes through the checks perfectly, beeps once as normal, find the HD and CD-Rom but after the POST, it keeps doing 4 beeps and the screen goes black and reappears in loop for 5-10 minutes depending. I noticed that during winter, the loop was during longer than during summer (very strange!!). After that, the PC starts normally and even if I switch it off and back again, the problem doesn't occur (well... my suggestion was that my PC is a diesel and has to be warm to run well *grin*). Anyway, it was not really bothering me to wait 5-10 mins b4 using my PC, until now.
I decided to buy a new HD (IBM) and to install win 98 on it. I totally remove my old HD, so I have only the new HD on it. I managed to install Win98 on it but the installation was corrupted and I had dll errors all the time, and sometimes, when using my PC, I have the 4 beeps and the screen goes black, I have to either press a key or move the mouse to get my screen back (it's like my PC goes idle by itself). I decided update my bios with the new version, zeroed my HD and reinstall Win98. The problem is that even when I run DOS programs (booting from a floppy), I still have the 4 beeps and my screen going idle, and I still have to press a key to get it back.

Anyone had this prob b4?

Thx

Those beeps you're getting are there to tell you what's wrong. Find out who makes your BIOS and then look at that manufacturer's POST codes.

Well I checked that already. On the ASUS mainboard guide, it gives me different types of beeps + their meaning but this one is not in the liste. The closest in the list is one beep + 3 other beeps for video card problems but I'm sure I've got 4 beeps in a row.

I could be wrong, but I think that first beep is probably your POST telling you that your pc speaker is working. You mentioned that 3 beeps on your mobo indicates a video problem. Do you have another video card you can try in its place?

I thought of that and I'm actually trying to get a working graphic card to try it. I don't have another video card (gave my old one to a friend) so I asked him to borrow it one night. :)

Dz

But is it possible that it comes from somewhere else? Power supply, CMOS?

Hi,
I believe that on your graphics card there are 3 LED's that give an indication of the hardware status.

Have you tried starting it up and viewing the status of those LED's?

Also, have you tried to reseat the graphics card - that means taking it out, not just pressing down on it as it is.

BTW - if you take the graphics card out, the machine will still post. Try that to see if it gives you the same beeps or different beeps - you might as well try that if you are going to reseat the card anyway.

Regards. Running a PC without backups is like driving a car without a seatbealt. Your knack'ed when you crash!

I checked the 3 LEDs on the graphic card. I opened the case, switched on the PC and looked at the LEDs. The green and orange LEDs were on and the red one (error) was always off even during the beeps.
I also reseated the graphic card and checked its connectors.

I'll try tonight to remove everything (HD, Graphic card, sound card), leave the minimum RAM and try to boot on a floppy to see if it still does the beeps after post.
I'll keep you in touch to tell you ;)

Dz

Your computer might be telling you the memory on the video card has some errors. Often memory errors will not prevent the video card from functioning. It may cause slower frame rates or cause occasional failures for your system. It is probably too late for a warranty on your video card. OEM Builders often use software to test different kinds of hardware. I am not sure how to test the video card. The manufacturer may have a utility program that can run a test. This is possibly some kind of hardware driver issue, but I would think the beeps occur before the OS is loaded. Usually that indicates some hardware problem. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Hi ceh4702,
The video card in question has a status LED that lights up when there is an error. If there were faulty chips on the board the LED would light - UNLESS the LED was faulty (I wouldn't discount it ;-) )

All the best. Running a PC without backups is like driving a car without a seatbealt. Your knack'ed when you crash!

Hello,

I did the test last night:
Removed Sound card, HD, CDrom: still the same 4 short beeps loop.
Then removed the graphic card: I had the normal one long beep and 3 short beeps (according to ASUS guide, it means there's a problem with the video card... normal, it's not there *grin*) then I have the 4 short beeps loop again!

I also noticed that the fans (CPU and another one in the motherboard) were slowing down every time the 4 beeps appear.

I recheck with the graphic card reseated, still the same problem.

I also check the LEDs on the graphic card, the green (ON) and orange (4X) are on and the red (ERROR) is always off.

Does that help?

Dz

Hi,
It would have been worthwhile taking out alternate sticks of the 512Mb you have got. Nevermind.

You haven't said what power supply you have in your machine. At this point I would be wondering if your power supply is on the low side or faulty.

Please post your power supply details. And, if you can, try to borrow your mates power supply and give it a try.

Regards.
Running a PC without backups is like driving a car without a seatbealt. Your knack'ed when you crash!

Hello,

Well as you told me, i did switch the RAM sticks, put only one, then removed it, and put the other one, then both. I still have the same problem.
My PS is 250V. Is it too low for my mobo?
I also noticed something:
When I run the soft to zero my HD, it takes two steps to erase the disc, first it clean it, then it does some analysing. Well, my PC works fine when doing the cleaning but as soon as it start the analysing it start doing at a frequent rate the 4 short beeps loop and idling. I even noticed that the analysing was stopping during the idling and as soon as I press a key, the screen comes back and the analysing carry on from where it stopped. Very weird!
I haven't found yet another graphic card and PS to see if it comes from that.

Dz

I changed my PS with a new 350W one, still does it...
I changed ma graphic card with another AGP working one, still does it...
Is it my motherboard which has problem??
Can it comes from the CMOS battery?

Dz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back