Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Anomoly - displays multiple drive letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodweb

Technical User
Feb 5, 2001
US
I just installed a Sony CD-RW in a K62-400. The Hard Drive is set a the Primary Master. The origonal CDrom Drive is set as the Primary Slave and the new Sony CD-RW is the Sencondary Slave. Cmos reconizes these drives in this configuration. When I rebooted the PC and veiwed the drives from "My Computer", it shows C: as the HD, D: as the CDrom drive and... E:, F:. G:, H:, I:, J:, K: and L: as the new Sony CD-RW! I have tried assigning drive letters to this drive; I have delete all of the other extra drives and still it always displays this way. You can also access the CD-RW from any of the drives. Does anyone have a clue on how to make this display only one drive for the CD-RW and why it is doing this? I am stumped!! GoOdwEb's Internet Cafe

goodweb,

I noticed you had the Writer installed as Secondary Slave but there is no Master on that Channel. Have you tried moving the Writer to the Master position on that Channel?
Don't forget to change the jumpers when you move the drive.

Quote:
"The origonal CDrom Drive is set as the Primary Slave and the new Sony CD-RW is the Secondary Slave."

Every thing checks out.. jumpers and cmos GoOdwEb's Internet Cafe

I'm sorry. I should have been more specific in my observations. You have only a Slave on the secondary Ide. Try moving that to the Master Position. When you do, don't forget to change the jumper settings. When you have only one drive on a Channel, don't Slave it.

there are two drives on the secondary IDE... secondary master is the origonal CDrom drive.. the secondary slave is the new burner... should not make a different which is the master and which is the slave.. GoOdwEb's Internet Cafe

This is what you said in your original post.

The origonal CDrom Drive is set as the Primary Slave and the new Sony CD-RW is the Sencondary Slave
This is what you just said.
there are two drives on the secondary IDE... secondary master is the origonal CDrom drive.. the secondary slave is the new burner... should not make a different which is the master and which is the slave..

Very confusing. Which is your setup? The first or the second please?
These are two different setups.

You may want to set the burner as the master on either the primary or secondary IDE controller. I have seen burners that don't like to be set as a slave.

steve

it still works... it just displays eight (8) incidents of the drive as different drive letters.. does not matter which one you use either.. they all will access the drive..

i would like it to be just a single drive letter.. ie.. E:
and get rid of all the other ones.. GoOdwEb's Internet Cafe

I believe you. But this is too odd. Changing the configuration of your system may make a change. Other than that, I cannot think of anything else to try. I researched as best I could and found nothing like this. I think you might want to boot to safe mode and remove all of your drives. Reboot to windows ans let them be reinstalled. See if there is a change. Then try a physical change if that doesn't work. Other than that, I am stumped.

Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Incidentally, it is considered a bad idea to have a CD ROM of any sort on the same channel as a hard drive, as it affects performance. (just thought that worth a mention as we are still unsure of your config.) Andy. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

You don't say what operating system you're using, 95, 98, version number?? Can you access the drive under each of these drive letters in DOS? Or which ones or none at all? What's in your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT?

To try and clarify matters regarding what precisely is connected to where:-

IDE Ø - (Primary) - MASTER = HARD DRIVE
(Primary) - SLAVE = ORIGINAL CD-ROM

IDE 1 - (Secondary) - MASTER = ?????
(Secondary) - SLAVE = SONY CD-RW

That is how we read your configuration from your first post. Please notify us if not correct...?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

ok, another one I betcha ifya check your config.sys you'll find that there is at least one real mode cd rom driver installed, maybe more. and, if you check it's defaults, it uses some sort of automated addressing system to assign default irq's and addresses, and I would be very surprised to find only one call to mscdex in your autoexec.bat.
sol'n1:
even though i am a total proponent of real mode drivers, sometimes programmers are sloppy, or don't know what they are doing, so remove them all and let the pNp do it's thing
sol'n2:
i've run into this problem a number of times and the REAL solution is a correct understanding of config.sys autoexec.bat and REPLACE those drivers! with something more generic!

good luck ;)
LLayr@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back