Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange (and probably why bother)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcooney

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2005
US
During the roll-out of an additional 70 phones (and a new PRI with new phones using the new PRI), we noticed behavior that was different from previous behavior.

During testing because we had ported the numbers from one carrier to another (now both are the same), we noticed that when dialing the number using 9 plus the 10 digit number the new extensions displayed 15 characters of the LD 95 Name when the first ring occurred (immediately below the dialed number on the M3904 display). Dialing the original 100 extensions does not do this.

As there was a new ISA group involved, I compared the routes and did not notice any differences on the ISA route or the DID service route. There were two differences on the COT service routes --- TARG and OOD (neither of which would seem like it would come into play).

I also compared the phones (specifically the CLS) and the trunks and did not notice anything. The CLID tables are different, but nothing sticks out there either.

I know this is a silly problem (as how many people will be reaching out to an internal colleague by dialing externally to reach them), but one of the managers noticed this and wants an explanation.

Any ideas what else I can check?

jmcooney
try changing the des prompt in ld95 to NO

jimcooney...what type of phones are the original 100
extensions?if they are 2000 series the 3900 series have more character display.
hope this helps.

strmwalker

Thanks for the first two replies.

DES in the CPND block is already NO. Since both the new and old phones, both of which are of the type 3904, use the same CPND block, would it have been possible that this could be the change required if they both behave differently? Do you think I need to find something that is causing different behavior on the same phone type?

Some things I would think of...

1. Set firmware. Since you mentioned that the sets are M3900 series phones, I would doubt the original phones and new phones are flashed with the same code. While this is not the root cause, I would suspect that the difference in flash would cause slightly different behavior among two seemingly identical phones.

2. How is your BARS configured? Is you BARS configured to not route an internal call out to the public network? I do not recall the exact programming, but you can configure BARS to recognize a call as an internal call, strip all of the digits, sans the last four, and deliver the call with internal resources.

From what you described a combination of items 1 & 2 may be causing the "issue

might be a function of the provider? the des prompt displays the des with the name internal.. very seldom done. some customers want the dept name for that, but 6 digits i snever enough... with some new offices your ld 95 will up the ss7 table so your dn name will display external..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back