Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange AD/Group Policy W2K server problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake77

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2003
US
OK, here's a really strange problem: We have a single W2K server/domain controller that was running great until a couple of weeks ago. Our network consists of about 14 PC's evenly divided between W2k and Win98, all using static IP addresses. Started having issues with both W2k and Win98 clients getting logon denied messages. I discovered that the Local Group Policy database on the server was corrupt, so I rebuilt it using instructions from MSKBA #278316. Now the server boots up noticably faster, and the W2k clients can log on again after I re-register their machine names. But the Win98 clients still get "The domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has been denied" when trying to log onto the domain - unless the server has been rebooted and is just sitting at the login prompt. Everyone can login in and access the server/domain unless I actually log onto the server as Administrator, in which case the Win98 machines get the above error message. So I'm thinking this is some kind of Local/Domain policy issue but I can't make any headway on it. I've tried deleteing/resetting machine accounts in AD, and registry mods on the Win98 clients to disable direct hosting and SMB signing. No luck yet. Any help greatly appreciated.

I just changed over an nt4 network to windows 2000 server. i can get the xp workstations to logon but not the 98 or nt4.0. I'm getting password incorrect or acces to logon server is denied Have you corrected your problem yet??

Michael C. Byrd

I just had this same issue here on my network using W2K Servers with combination of 95,98,2k, and XP clients. 95/98 clients not connecting was an issue with Wins. It had a number of tombstone entries and for some reason WINS had 169. addresses in it. Our network is 172. Come to find out since we are using a fiber nic, the two on board ethernet cards that weren't in use some how got enables and when WINS was trying to assign, it was using a combination of 172. and 169. The 169 was because the nics weren't set up, but WINS saw them and pulled in 169. Very mixed up so to speak so disabled the nics not in use, deteted all the tombstone and 169 entries and made sure the server was in the wins scope defined the domain (the server) and immediately we were able to go to 95/98 clients (the only ones with the issue) and they were able to log in. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back