Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange 911 Call 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefinityG3R

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
US
Hello everyone,

I am stumped on this one:

Our local 911 center calls our company today and states that we had called 911 at 9:19 AM today 10/16/03. We have an external eCas system for SMDR/Call Accounting. Up until today eCas has logged every single 911 call that has been placed from our location. I can't find anything in eCas. I know the call was placed because route pattern 7 is the only route pattern in our system that will route 911 calls. Sure enough there is 1 call carried displayed when I use "list meas route 7 today".

I have checked event logs, alarm logs, etc. I can't figure out for the life of me how a call was placed to 911. The eCas reports show no call activity for the time in question.
I checked for any CDR alarms and found none at that time the call was placed.

We have went ahead and enabled crisis-alert for 911 calls. In addition we have set our G3R up to page 3 different people if 911 is called again (real nice feature).

I have also requested that Verizon pull a detailed report for any 911 calls that were placed from our location. I am really at a loss on this one.....

Any suggestions?

Is it possible that 911 was dialed from a station that has CDR privacy?

Good point. But we have found that if CDR Privacy is turned on it still tracks information in eCas. But to answer your question CDR privacy is set to No on every extension.

Thanks...

Go to your terminal and type "List Emergency". It will list any 911 call that was made today and what extension made it.

I tried your command (nice command btw). It is only listing the test calls we have made since we changed the 911 ars tables to service type "alrt".

Thanks

Also, how about "Dial Access"? I've noticed that if I enable trunk dial access (to do test calls), they don't show up on our CDR.

Did you check the Fax machinees? Once we had a person who was sending an International fax and dialed 9 for the outside line and forgot the 0, (in 011) and just dialed 11. It took a while but when the police showed up someone in the office confessed that they made a dialing mistake and hung up right away.

Also - you know how some PBX's can change the outbound caller ID? Not sure but maybe someone else in your area with a PBX changed their caller id on their phone and made the call and it was traced back to you? Not sure if the police department has the ability to tell if the caller ID is real or not...

Toni brings up a very good point. It's quite common to mistakenly dial 911 from Fax machines. Because its a fax, the sender isn't aware he has done it. We usually put 911 in its own route pattern & block fax machines from accessing it by giving them thier own COR, for this very reason.

Paul Beddows
Avaya Implementation
Telus
Vancouver, Canada
E-mail via

Hey avaya man your info has been very helpful on the 911 topic we are still having 911 problems and are getting billed by 911 daily for false calls. 911 all ready has its own route pattern what do I need to do to set up a cor that will block these calls on a fax?

José

Please let me know if this was helpful

So how much is a 911 bill? Just curious, I always heard they would charge but never known anyone to get charged.

in sacramento county a false call is $1800.00

José

Mind If I add my two cents?

I would ask the 911 center to supply me the Caller ID data and check who is in and what line is doing the actual calling. One thing comes to mind that the phone company might have the line dialing 911 listed wrong. Therefore 911 thinks you made the false calls while it's a different company or person.

Just another point of view
ED

1a2 to ip I seen it all

Unfortunatly I can verify from my CDR records all the calls were from my users I have turned the bill over to the company CO and he intends to bill the users. BUt he would like us to do whatever is possible to stop it in the future.

José

Avayaman I am the one that you helped set up the recorded announcment before going to 911 the other so I will probably have to take that into account as I belive this would hit the digit conversion table before the the route pattern

José

thanks for everyones input I figured out a solution for this problem the only draw back now is I have to change the cor for 150+ fax machines.

José

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back