Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange 80004005 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webflex

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
GB
Well strange to me anyway

I have set up the following connection which works from any machine logged in with admin rights but not with normal user rights.

Code:
	set conn = server.createObject("adodb.connection")
	conn.open "csolphone"

Normal end users who have rights to read the database get the 80004005 error Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

The DSN is obviously there as it works in an admin context from any machine so it looks like a rights issue, but how do you assign rights to a DSN ?

Apologies if this is a bit dense

TIA
Webflex

conn.open ("DSN=csolphone;UID=uid;PWD=pwd")

So that you don't assign rights to the DSN, but just use it to point to the database... pass your own credentials each time you connect.

:)
penny.gif
penny.gif

Thanks, that makes sense but still does not seem to work, I'm going to chase through some other options related to global.asa and iusr (although iusr is not used anywhere)

We had this problem...

A user had to log into access to use the database, and that wasn't getting passed thru (as per above)

I think that the solution was to put DOMAIN_NAME\username
where username is supposed to go (in the dsn? - not sure)... so that it knew how to verify the credentials of the user trying to access the data.

Gzep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back