Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strang intra database join question

Status
Not open for further replies.

siena

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
US
I am almost 100% certain that this is not possible but no better place to verify that than on this forum.

We some files on sql server database and some additional (more gis-related records) in a dbf file.
There is a common key between the sql server database and dbf file and that is called classCode.

My question is is it possible to perform a join between a dbf file and a sql server database?

To make a bad situation worse, the dbf is in one server and the dbf is in another server.

As I said, I think the answer is "No, not possible" but please, gurus, confirm with me.
Thank you

yes - the way is that you attach both of the tables in a MS Access database and then you can perform a join between them in Access - regardless of where the data physically resides.

thank you, that's what I ended up doing.
I had to do extensive internet search to find an answer.

Thank you!

If there are standard ODBC drivers for the dbf file, can't you connect to it as a linked server from SQL Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back